Need opinions on date small silver plaque was engraved

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by springfld.arsenal, Aug 22, 2017.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

This plaque is attached to one of the gripstocks of a Colt Model 1860 Army revolver manufactured in 1863 (serial no. Gives us that date.). I'm interested in your estimate of the earliest date the plaque could have been engraved based on the font, date format, etc. I can add more info later but for this particular project, too much information now would be distracting and counterproductive. Not my weapon, just trying to help someone else.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Done on a trophy plaque machine 1950 or later

3. springfld.arsenal

Thanks. Anyone have info relating to the date format? I tried googling but none of the hits I happened to check had much info on when various date formats came into use in the US.

4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I think the American date format is the traditional one and the British and Continentals changed their formats...............don't ask when or why, causin' I don't remember..............

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

komokwa and yourturntoloveit like this.
  6. springfld.arsenal

I'm sure that's the same gun. I'm guessing the sale price shown reflects the cased gun and the Colt letter showing it was one of 1000 delivered to the Army on a certain date in 1863. What I mean is it seems no bidders got really excited about the silver plaques. I think the set is a marriage because those revolvers were delivered to the Army packed in wood crates without the cute case and accouterments shown.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  7. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Same for me.

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I can't help on when you guys decided on formats, but I've British paper documents up to two centuries old with the month day year usage.

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  9. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that the format used to write a date is directly related to the way it is spoken...................i.e. I SAY 23rd June, 2017 so I tend to WRITE it that way, including 23/6/2017. I think most Americans SAY June 23rd, 2017, so they tend to WRITE it in that format.

Of course, I could be so far off the track that I'm really on Enceladus...................and don't realize it yet............yet..............

Draft saved Draft deleted