Need some help identifing these pictures and items.....

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by michael frail, Jul 9, 2019.

?

how can i tell these paintings are authentic? Are these paintings of any value?

1. they are authentic. There of great value

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. they are not authentic. they are not of great value.

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. michael frail

michael frail New Member

i ran across these items in a storage unit that i bought and would like some information on them, if at all possible. i have a vague knowledge of art and have somewhat taking this on as a hobbie and would appreciate any knowledge or wisdom that i may be blessed with.

First is a picture i believe it to be stolen art from the ww2 era. the picture is realistic in itself and has a quality that is breathtaking to say the least. there is no signature from the artist, as far as i can see, im not an expert though. i believe it to be the city of Venice, not exactly sure. the frame seems to be quite old and the paint looks like it is on a canvas and seems to be authentic. im only basing this on common sense. ive seen many paintings in life and ive never seen paintings with this level of quality and prestige.

The level of quality and prestige range in order of the paintings as i upload them from my gallery. i'm extremely curious and would love to learn anything i can to better partake in my hobbie.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you seem to already have a good opinion on these works........

let's see if others share you excitement..........;);):):):wideyed::wideyed:

3. komokwa

4. komokwa

here's two Lincoln...

upload_2019-7-9_23-38-48.jpeg

Portrait Of Abraham Lincoln Photograph by Mathew Brady

Jivvy, judy, charlie cheswick and 2 others like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Welcome Michael. Please move your media from the gallery into your post. The one where you could only post a section was that because the file was too large? If so then you can right click the picture on your computer and select resize or if you are sending them from your phone email them to yourself and select medium as the size. They also like a straight on shot of the signature.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  6. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

I did an image search on Bing for your Venice painting and came up with many, many similar paintings.Have you removed the frame? The signature could be hidden. What makes you think it was stolen during WWII?

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Michael, it would be helpful if you posted a photograph of both front and back that includes frame. Also a close-up of the signature and any other markings, stickers or labels.

Debora

Christmasjoy, Jivvy and Bakersgma like this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

A couple questions/comments for you, Michael.

You asked about "these paintings" but the 2 Lincoln pictures appear to be photographs and not paintings. You also ask if they are "authentic." "Authentic" what? Do you mean "original works?" Do you mean created by a specific person? Being as specific as possible about what you have been "told" or possibly learned from "research" will help us react to your queries.

10. komokwa

I'm not feeling the love here.....or seeing any more...'pictures'....:yawn::yawn:

11. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

The Lincoln in an oval is a famous engraving by William Marshall. Been widely reproduced. [EDIT: upon looking, I could be wrong about the "widely reproduced".] Yours is damaged. Without better pictures, hard to know what you have.

Whenever posting artwork, it is best to do as @Debora said and post pics of full front, back, and close-up of sig.

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted