NEED SUGGESTION ON TEXTILE REMNANTS

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by jingyel, Feb 20, 2021.

1. jingyel

jingyel Well-Known Member

Hello, I found a group of textile remnants

I just wonder if you could help me on the age and origin of those?
    Is there any collectable value? 98075800_1_x.jpg 98075800_3_x.jpg 98075800_2_x.jpg

KSW likes this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Some better photos of the individual pieces would be helpful, but from what I can see they look like pre-columbian textiles from Peru. And yes, they would have collectable value.

KSW likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking too. There can be some controversy attached to exporting/importing/selling this material. Not my tale to tell though and I'm not enough of an expert to try.

KSW likes this.
  4. reader

reader Well-Known Member

2738136E-55A0-4FE0-A58F-A4649DEE243F.jpeg
    The one with the red looks very similar to one of mine which was identified as Peruvian 11-1350 but consider that hearsay.

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Forgot to add that I was told Central Coast. Again, consider it hearsay but the source was a long gone dealer of precolumbian objects.

6. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hi Jingyel,
    What fascinating items! Sprang is not in my area of expertise - however those "open airy" pieces looked like it to me! I found these two references that might be helpful.
    I would think ANY textile that old would have some significant value! The more you can find out about them - document your findings and then that should lead you to a value or an expert who could advise you! I think it is a good idea that for now they are behind glass. I hope it is museum quality framing...

https://open.library.ubc.ca/cIRcle/collections/ubctheses/831/items/1.0095501

http://paulhughesfinearts.com/perch/resources/rediscovery-of-pre-columbian-textiles.pdf

Good luck with your quest! Let us know what you find out.

Cheerio,
    Leslie

reader and jingyel like this.
  7. jingyel

jingyel Well-Known Member

Thank you Leslie for the comments. They are really helpful to me!

Northern Lights Lodge likes this.
  8. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

My pleasure! I wish I could see them in person! :)
    Enjoy them for me!

Leslie

Draft saved Draft deleted