Featured Need translation assistance with Arabic

Discussion in 'Art' started by Cris Drugan ISA-AM, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Cris Drugan ISA-AM

Cris Drugan ISA-AM Active Member

Can anyone help with the Arabic signature translation or ID the guy painted in the necklace?
    24"x36" oil on canvas. Made in Mexico frame. Mid to Late 20th Century.
    Iranian, Iraqi, Pakistan maybe?

Thanks DSCN5728 (800x598).jpg DSCN5726 (800x600).jpg DSCN5727 (800x600).jpg

Christmasjoy, johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The guy on the necklace has a look of Mohammad Reza Pahlavi (Shah( (King Pahlavi of Persia) so the writing could be Farsi.
    Just a guess.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, Farsi (Arabic based script). We don't have any Farsi speakers that I know of. Maybe a Persian or Afghani restaurant or shop in your neighbourhood can help.

I think the protrait is of Mohammad's father, Reza Shah Pahlavi, the colonel who overthrew the Qajar dynasty and founded his very own dynasty of two.
    [​IMG]

Mohammad Reza Pahlavi didn't have a moustache:
    [​IMG]

4. Cris Drugan ISA-AM

Looks right! I found this image with the same kind of hat. Thanks @Any Jewelry Reza Shah Pahlavi & Kamal Ataturk Portrait (550x386).jpg
    Now I just need a Farsi translator!

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I know a Farsi speaker / translator but it depends on whether I want to eat Pizza anytime soon:D

6. Any Jewelry

I don't know if knowing the artist's name (because that's probably what it is) would add much to the value of the painting. I think it is a nostalgic Persian painting that would appeal to the nostalgic Persian crowd.:)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  7. Cris Drugan ISA-AM

@daveydempsey @Any Jewelry The signature is "Ali Shirazi", but NOT the calligrapher Ali Shirazi. This is strictly a decorative piece as you said. Maybe it's a common name???

daveydempsey likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

It refers to Shiraz, an important city in Iran. There are many Ali Shirazis. Maybe their ancestors came from Shiraz.

Cris Drugan ISA-AM likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted