Needing an opinion on a southwestern blanket

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by NaptownFTW, Jul 22, 2020.

1. NaptownFTW

NaptownFTW Active Member

A local shop put out a some textiles being offered as Native American. Two of them looked like correct yei pattern rugs with the right weave and fringe only on the corner, but this one seems wrong. Left and right edges have a definite double warp and I haven’t been able to find anything with the puff fringe like this one.

I am certain it’s not Navajo, but at loss to where it’s actually from. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

D616DD19-1B1B-4836-9FE0-D00617B1DD45.jpeg 47A3C172-29C5-4207-96B7-59BB21CDBF4D.jpeg F2FD8A1F-D760-4A44-B365-C59C5850F561.jpeg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

You're right, it isn't Native American. The "tufts" of remnants of the fringe on both ends is positive proof. And it appears it was cut off intentionally, which is odd.

The striped pattern, the thicker outside warp thread, and the colors used, are indications that it is Mexican.

smallaxe and patd8643 like this.
  3. NaptownFTW

NaptownFTW Active Member

Thanks for the reply Taupou. I know that similar pieces were done all over the place and have come up empty looking for the puffed wool fringe. They are asking $100 on it, which might be a bit high.

Draft saved Draft deleted