Featured Needing help with these Cavalier Statues

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Henning Walker, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Henning Walker

Henning Walker New Member

Hello,

I recently acquired these statues from my late Grandmother. They have been in the family for a while and as far as I am aware originated from my Great-grandparents who lived in Camborne, but could date back even further.

I was always told that these were "Cornish Cavaliers" and a Google search suggests this is correct as I have found some similar looking ones. I am interested to know more about these, such as where, when and by whom they were made and an approximate value as if it is more than a couple of hundred pounds I would rather sell them on.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance. Screenshot_20190413-192417.jpg

kyratango, axelrich and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. axelrich

axelrich Active Member

i need help and Fid like this.
  3. Henning Walker

Thanks for that! I hadn't seen this before, but they certainly look similar!

judy and axelrich like this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

they are VERY typically French, with the round base post-WW2 régule (white metal), base either sponge painted wood or "plastic".
    the prices asked in the links are too high, especially the cheaper one because of the riveted label that is also typically 1950s.

judy and axelrich like this.
  5. Henning Walker

Interesting, the bases of mine are definitely wood - would you say that they too are post WW2, or is it possible that they are earlier than that? I suppose it's difficult to tell with no further markings or features!

I had also noticed when trawling through information about Charles Anfrie that there was another French artist by the name of Eugene Marioton who did similar work, although I am edging more toward Anfrie given that he did other Cavaliers...

Thanks!

axelrich and judy like this.
  6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Draft saved Draft deleted