Featured Needing To Identify 19th Century American Folk Artist Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Gary Knudtzon, Jan 27, 2020.

?

Can this Unidentified Early American Folk Art Watercolor be Artist Identified?

1. Eunice Pinney??

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Elizabeth Glaser??

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gary Knudtzon

Gary Knudtzon Member

IMGFLOWER2.JPG IMGFLOWER3.JPG IMGFLOWERS.JPG IMGFROWER1.JPG IMGFLOWERS.JPG IMGFROWER1.JPG Found this sweet early 19th Century American Folk Art Watercolor (Not a Theorem Painting) at the Value Village in Washington State. Very unusual Flower Vase arrangement with Butterflies painted exceptionally well on Paper and with its original Frame. Another unique thing about the Painting is the Triple Pen & Ink Lines outlining the Painting with a very Currier & Ives type Title at the bottom. I know these are typically NOT signed and this one is no exception also. Anyone Knowledgeable enough about these kind of folk art Watercolor Paintings to be able to identify the Artist by style and maybe the fact it is Pen & Ink outlined with a very Currier & Ives type Title? Any Help on this Painting will be Highly Appreciated! Sincerely, Gary K

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Gary, I am just curious but . . . what leads you to believe that the painting was done in the 1800s?

Christmasjoy and Fid like this.
  3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Style, quality, writing font and aging are consistant with early1800s IMHO:)

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

To my eye, as well.

Debora

yourturntoloveit and kyratango like this.
  5. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see it out of the frame. Imho it looks like a print with hand coloring. It does look lik it has some age to it.
    Mikey

Jeff Drum, Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The Currier & Ives reference a bit confusing as out of period.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Would you be kind enough to post a photograph of the back of frame?

Debora

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think it's charming and have no problem imagining it to be mid-19th C. I'm not seeing the lines to suggest it's a colored print.

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Given the context, the pot itself is likely meant to be ceramic, but given the color it looks glass. So, long shot here, @Cherryhill @janetpjohn @TallCakes - any thoughts on a period for that as a glass vase?

10. Gary Knudtzon

Gary Knudtzon Member

Hi Everybody and Thanks for your Reply! Looking it over with a Loop told me it is a Watercolor Painting for sure. As to the Comment about Currier & Ives I meant the way it is Pen & Ink outlined and the way the Title, "THE FLOWER POT" is worded is so much like how Currier & Ives would title it and frame it. I went and put in a few more Pictures of the back of the Watercolor and the back of the Frame. The frame could have been a later replacement by the previous owner I don't know but it looks period. I replaced the back nails because the very early nails that were on it were loose and very few left. Painting measures 15 x 12 Inches. would still love to know who painted it! Could it be a Famous American Folk Artist? Gary K

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

What does the writing on the back corner of the frame say?

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

just numbers....it's the size of the work...or frame..

13. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Can you show a pic of the front without the frame?.

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The nature of the wrinkles makes me ask: are you sure it's not vellum?

I don't even know who to suggest might have sufficient expertise. @James Conrad is sufficiently involved in early Americana that he might be able to suggest some organisation or person.

James Conrad and kyratango like this.
  15. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Oh Boy, sorry, NOT A CLUE! and no idea who might provide you with information. :sorry:

moreotherstuff likes this.
  16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

You could check museums sites like the Smithsonian, or Met to see if they have early Americana departments. If they do, you could contact them and ask if they have any opinion on the object or if they have any suggestions as to who might.

kyratango and James Conrad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted