Featured Needlepoint?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by wildrose, Sep 9, 2015.

1. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

I know very little about needlework, is this needlepoint? I think it is a Pennsylvania Dutch or Amish theme. The back is hand sewn on and I believe it is burlap. It is signed Milton Lessner text.jpg text1.jpg text2.jpg text3.jpg text5.jpg text6.jpg and has a label EAAHNIKON. Thanks!!!

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I don't see any PA Dutch or Amish look to this. Maybe I've been living under a rock, but I've never seen a maritime-themed item in either of those cultures. Is it the birds?

The word on the printed label reminds me of the Greek language, but that's just an impression. Perhaps related to the "Poseidon"/Neptune figure in the lower corner? A commercial pattern?

patd8643, judy and KingofThings like this.
  3. wildrose

the birds is what made my dad mention PD and Amish...

judy and KingofThings like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The label is Greek. No question. It's needlepoint, probably a pillow cover. The name written in ink is probably the original owner. I'd also bet good money the yarn is wool. Older pieces and even new ones often are. I'd have to go digging to figure out what the lettering says.

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

ELLHNIKON seems to mean Greek. Thus the term Hellenic in referring in English to Greek subjects or things.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  6. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Maybe just call Milton and ask him about it-where/how he got it. Zaba search shows one in Johnstown, Pa, age 91, and at least one more in San Diego, no age given. Is what I'd do anyway.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Ha! I don't know... And that isn't my last name but...
    I like it! :)

8. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Dimensions are always appreciated.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

10. wildrose

It is 25" by 36"

KingofThings likes this.
  11. love needlework

love needlework New Member

This item was made in Greece sometime between 1949 - 1985. The label means Hellenic, which in this case, grammatically speaking, is the equivalent of saying "made in Greece." There is another label missing which would have said "national welfare." These were items manufactured as pillow cases, rugs, wall hangings, tablecloths, etc. The designs were interpretations of Greek paintings and motifs from the 18th to 19th centuries. Here you have seafaring vessels with a border of waves. The Greek government had sponsored what was called "the national welfare," a cottage industry to help the economy in rural areas. Women and young girls in rural areas had a long history of excellent needleworking skills. The government paid them to create items in traditional designs. All material and designs were provided for them. They worked with wools imported from New Zealand. When finished, the needlework would be taken to Athens, Greece, and sold in shops of this organisation. This trade is defunct now, it was deemed obsolete mostly because the people involved found better means to make a living.

Figtree3 and cxgirl like this.
  12. love needlework

love needlework New Member

This item was made in Greece sometime between 1949 - 1985. The label means Hellenic, which in this case, grammatically speaking, is the equivalent of saying "made in Greece." There is another label missing which would have said "national welfare." These were items manufactured as pillow cases, rugs, wall hangings, tablecloths, etc. The designs were interpretations of Greek paintings and motifs from the 18th to 19th centuries. Here you have a wool needlepoint of seafaring vessels with a border of waves. The Greek government had sponsored what was called "the national welfare," a cottage industry to help the economy in rural areas. Women and young girls in rural areas had a long history of excellent needleworking skills. The government paid them to create items in traditional designs. All material and designs were provided for them. They worked with wools imported from New Zealand. When finished, the needlework would be taken to Athens, Greece, and sold in shops of this organisation. This trade is defunct now, it was deemed obsolete mostly because the people involved found better means to make a living.

13. janetathensbay

janetathensbay New Member

This needlepoint 'pillow cover,' is a traditional design from the Greek island of Skyros. I have one exactly like this that was indeed purchased in the early 70's from "the National Welfare," organisation described above. I also have several larger needlepoint rugs from the island of Skyros. Here is a photo of one of my favourites..which was made in the early 70s. I have an artist friend in Greece who has painted the fish from my rug on rocks that he has collected along the beaches of Greece!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Figtree3, 2manybooks, Pat P and 2 others like this.
  14. janetathensbay

This needlepoint 'pillow cover' was indeed made in Greece. It is a traditional design from the Greek island of Skyros. I have several of the exact same design as well as five needlepoint rugs which I have displayed on my walls. They were, as the previous posted has written, made by the National Welfare Organisation. They are a treasure that should be saved and cared for.

Jivvy and i need help like this.
  15. janetathensbay

and a photo of the fish painted on stones by my friend in Greece.

Attached Files:

Figtree3, KikoBlueEyes, Jivvy and 3 others like this.
  16. JanisG

JanisG New Member

I also have/ had a pillow cover just like this and it has the label inside mentioning the National Welfare Organization. What is most interesting to me is that I saw this exact pillow cover in 1984 at the Kennedy Library outside of Boston and it was sitting on a rocking chair that was JFk's. The sign said that Jackie bought the pillow for Jack while she was on a visit to Greece. Perhaps she met her future husband on that trip!! I am moving am selling this so was looking for a price to sell it for. Thanks for all this information!!

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted