Neoclassical Chairs?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by mark737, Jun 29, 2020.

1. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

MC.jpg Hello. First post here. I saw a set of these chairs at a local consignment shop and was trying to determine the style, approximate age, etc. They seem to be well made and are quite light and delicate compared to a lot of the period furniture I run into. I collect and sometimes sell mid century pieces but am trying to learn more about other styles and what distinguishes more valuable items from the ordinary. What can you tell from this picture, and is there a good reference book or website you'd recommend to educate myself? Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Looks like a mid 20th century piece using some earlier neo-Classical and Victorian decorative motifs.

verybrad likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Might add, late 20th century and likely European in origin. Those tiny brass paw feet just look wrong …. :wideyed:

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  4. mark737

Thank you both for the responses. What tells you they are mid or late 20th century, and possibly European?

5. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

Neo-classique et un peu batardé. Back shape and wood finish = Biedermeier-ish, the (stylized) lyre motif harks to Queen Anne, the legs look Louis XVI-ish, and the brass tips at their end may just be someone's idea of cute (or the maker had lots of those so used them here).

I agree with @mark737 : late 20th century semi-commercial free interpretation of French Belle Epoque. Probably made for a French-themed restaurant not located in France.

hamptonauction likes this.
  6. mark737

Thanks. I guess this all helps explain why I couldn't narrow down a style. They appeared to be higher quality than most reproduction chairs I run into - of course I don't frequent the high-end antique shops. I'll stay in my lane with modern for now.

Draft saved Draft deleted