Featured Neoclassical chest of drawers?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by SeaGoat, Oct 17, 2017.

1. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, but very different from the one in the link. It does look like it should have had feet.

Christmasjoy and James Conrad like this.
  3. SeaGoat

Well, I meant as far as decoration went..
    More so, the roman-esque inlay figures.

But then again, Im not too familiar with pieces from the other side of the pond :couchpotato:

4. Any Jewelry

Yes, it does help if you grew up with that kind of thing, I have the same with American furniture.
    I live in The Netherlands, which used to be quite famous for marquetry. Here is a Dutch armoire:
    [​IMG]
    and a Dutch chest of drawers:
    [​IMG]
    Your chest of drawers reminds me of Amalfi ware, but I only know that from small items, I don't know if they made bigger furniture.
    Others will probably know.

5. SeaGoat

I came across some Dutch pieces as well, but couldn't find anything with similar motifs

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

My first thought was Italian. I then see that your comparison piece is also Italian. Searching antique Italian marquetry chest brings up other similar example. Not definitive but might be a place to start.

7. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

I like it but it does need some feet, I think...I wonder which type of feet it used to have.

8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Oh boy, were they ever! Dutch marquetry was copied by just about everyone in europe & america.

SeaGoat, judy, Ghopper1924 and 2 others like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Didn't really want to boast, but yes, we were pretty good, weren't we.:smuggrin:
    The Dutch have an expression which translates to 'that in which a small country can be big', I think that applies to marquetry (and a few other things).

Draft saved Draft deleted