Featured Never knew there were so many “Rooster Lamps”

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Miscstuff, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Must be a lot of bird lovers around or at least chicken breeders because there are
    buckets of rooster lamps on ebid. Personally I like the fried variety which doesn't endear me to bird lovers. Bought this beast recently as a chromed rooster for a lamp base struck me as unusual. It's kinda got a Chinese stylised look about it but could come from anywhere and probably dates from mid century. Someone has put a push button switch on the base despite the top switch working. Might have had a big shade that made it difficult to use. Height 34cm to top of socket, 18cm long and 1.2Kg. The wiring is a bit dodgy so might have to fix that.

Anyone seen these chromed creations before?

Cheers

Stephen

1s.jpg 2s.jpg 3s.jpg 4s.jpg 7s.jpg 8s.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree that this has some age to it. Metal work looks Indian to me.

judy and KingofThings like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's really nice...

judy and KingofThings like this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

How many 'buchs' was that?
    :wideyed::eek::woot::rolleyes:

5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Stephen, that's a cool looking lamp!

I have my own "chicken lamp" - totally out of character for me, but something about it just spoke to me! Here's a photo from a few years ago (with my daughter's late kitty, Michoux):
    img0 (389).jpg

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

good shot !!!:happy:

7. AJefferson

AJefferson Well-Known Member

Michoux look more than thrilled either that or trying to give the same unenthusiastic stare as the chicken :hilarious::hilarious:.
    Beautiful kitty fur pattern :D

8. Miscstuff

My exact initial thoughts too. Then I thought well maybe not . There was something about the styling that had me wondering if there wasn't some kind of Persian influence. After googling thousands of images I found some mid century Chinese porcelain birds that had an almost similar style so now I'm leaning towards a Chinese person who married a Persian lass and lived in India.
    A.J. is that one of you ancestors??:rolleyes:

I kind of overdid it at the auction and all up spent AU$93 on it. :eek:
    Must stop my "gee I like it" brain taking over my feeble business brain.

Love the cat. It has a "This is my house - human" look my old cat had. Your nice lamp is one of several metal rooster lamps that pop up on google image search and just about every other search I could do. No matter how I searched I couldn't find a single image of mine dammit!!
    Still lookin'.
    Cheers
    Stephen

SBSVC and KingofThings like this.
  9. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

10. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Nope! first time i have ever see a chicken lamp ever but, i am not a lamp person so....

KingofThings likes this.
  11. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

The cat is trying to figure out HOW he/she is gonna eat this chicken!

komokwa, KingofThings and SBSVC like this.
  12. Miscstuff

I think I might have nailed it. Looks like it is what is know as a "lucky rooster" and applies to the Chinese Zodiac. This year 28Jan2017-15Feb2018 is the year of the "Fire Rooster" and given the age of the cabling and switch the previous rooster dates of 1958,1969 and 1981 are the most likely dates of manufacture. Probably 1969 or 1981 would be my best guess. Funny how you can go down an antique rabbit hole and come out in an unexpected spot. Could still be in the hole.:)
    Cheers
    Stephen

Untitled.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted