Never saw an auction with nothing I’d bid on until...

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by springfld.arsenal, Sep 18, 2018.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I saw this online auction was closing today, but seems a lot of the stuff is repro or not very desirable. Wonder if someone assembled this stuff to try and snare novice collectors? I’m almost positive this grouping wasn’t assembled by a little old lady in her home, over decades

http://farmer.rasmuscatalog.com/cgi-bin/mmlist.cgi

Christmasjoy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I only looked at a few of the photos, so I have no real opinion on this one. However there is a lady here in town who uses vacant houses that are for sale to hold "estate sales". It is her stuff, & I am sure some of her friends stuff" spread throughout the house just like you would find at a real estate sale.

The prices are usually quite high & I am not totally sure how she gets the use of the house.

This may be something similar where a dealer or maybe even several dealers put there stuff together for an "estate auction".

5. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

There used to be, or maybe still is, a lot of this going on. Usually one can tell immediately that ancient Mrs. Whatsit did NOT collect junk jewelry from the last five years. Nor was she prone to buying huge amounts of brand new bedding, nor orange chairs for the patio. Being a portly woman, and childless, she did not stock size four clothing, or bunk beds in the guest room. Etc. :(

antidiem, Christmasjoy, judy and 4 others like this.
  6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Thanks, springfld. The construction/tools auction I posted did not seem too enthralling.

7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Yea, I used to see this a lot when I lived in Fairfield County, CT. The area is full of McMansions and some of the real estate people got together with estate sale companies to try and make a buck :(

8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Anytime the pictures are the size of postage stamps, I bail.

Jivvy likes this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

This one looks like it has plenty of old stuff. Others... I've found lots of moving sales billed as estate sales, and lots of tag sales that were full of new merch someone got free after coupon or at a dollar store. I've been to a few estate sales lately that were almost indoor tag sales. On a good day.

antidiem likes this.
  10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Around here I see more Christmas Tree Shops stuff at estate sales!

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted