Featured New..A bit of fun, can you guess what this is?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 808 raver, May 19, 2017.

1. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

This vessel has no way of getting at the fluid inside, I dug this up about 15 years ago, can you guess what it is and it's date? DSCF2365 (Medium).JPG DSCF2366 (Medium).JPG DSCF2367 (Medium).JPG DSCF2368 (Medium).JPG

2. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Iodine from some sort of medical kit?

Joshua Brown, 808 raver and cxgirl like this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

maybe a glass fire extinguisher?

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Fire extinguisher/grenade would be my guess.

Joshua Brown, 808 raver and cxgirl like this.
  5. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

What is the size? If small might be the part of a sprinkler system that breaks with heat.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Brad beat me to it. Fire grenade. Don't open that whatever you do; the contents of fire grenades were seriously poisonous.

7. 808 raver

Sorry a neighbour popped over, yes it's a fire grenade from I expect around 1915-20 as the tip I was digging was dated to that period. Yes your right evelyb30 smashing it would be a disaster, I have always been afraid it would break, I'm lucky it didn't smash when I dug it as I was deep in a hole.

cxgirl and Joshua Brown like this.
  8. 808 raver

Too easy, I'll do better the next time :)

judy, cxgirl and Joshua Brown like this.
  9. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I've never seen carbon tet thick and dark like that. It is only hazardous when heated in a fire to make phosgene gas. It was used by the ton by many people for a century with no real adverse effects. In more recent times it was a manufactured scare to sell other chemicals.

cxgirl, Joshua Brown and 808 raver like this.
  10. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Good comment. When I was younger (late 60's - 70's) we rode bikes without helmets, had backyard camp outs, played baseball and football in the neighbors fields, went fishing in the surrounding creeks and ponds, rode dirtbikes in the woods, played on play ground equipment like the merry go round and the monkey bars, played with fire crackers and little plastic army men all WITHOUT adult supervision, but now a days don't even think about doing that - just stare at your phone and text your friends.
    Good thing people were elected to pass laws to keep us safe - LOL!:vomit::rolleyes:
    Although, yes, I'd rather have a new fire extinguisher than throwing glass containers with a few ounces of fire retardant to try to stop my house burning down!!

11. 808 raver

I suppose it swings and roundabouts, being an ex-bricklayer when I was young the death toll for the trade was horrific, these days things are far better and the chances are, far more dads and fathers go home to their wives and kids than did when I was young, some elf and safety on the other hand has gone too far. As for the grenade and the chemicals inside I haven't tested them and I get conflicting info, according to this site I wouldn't want to drop one. http://poisonsnmore.webs.com/firegrenadehazards.htm

cxgirl and Joshua Brown like this.
  12. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

808 raver and Joshua Brown like this.
  13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Yea, I was on the right track - this is fun, thanks 808 raver:)

808 raver likes this.
  14. 808 raver

15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

You got it right. I was just chiming in to confirm and add the term grenade.

cxgirl and 808 raver like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted