Featured New Acquisitions - For my postcard collection

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Joe2007, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

So I decided to stimulate the local antiques & collectables economy with a portion of my stimulus check from Uncle Sam and ultimately decided on some nice advertising and real photo postcards. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Great early advertising postcard!
    postcard Louisville KY Tiger Brand Clothing advertising card.jpg Drake, North Dakota. Population est. 275 (2010)
    postcard Drake North Dakota parade 1912 business district.jpg Mt. Carroll, Illinois
    postcard mt carroll illinois main street business district.jpg Pennsylvania town parade (town is identified but I don't recall it off the top of my head)
    postcard parade floats pennsylvania town.jpg Perkinsville, Vermont
    postcard perkinsville vermont socony gas oil main street.jpg postcard train wreck disaster card.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Nice cards. Looks like the whole town turned out for that ND parade.

Aquitaine, pearlsnblume and Joe2007 like this.
  3. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Not a large town even in 1912! It is in the middle of no where too. I bet parade day was a special occasion to break up the monotony of rural life. It wasn't all excitement in the old west, although Hollywood would want you to believe otherwise.

4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I love the real photo cards, they really give you an peek into olden days for sure.

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The date says July 3rd. Of course it was a big occasion! ;)

Aquitaine, Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

simpler times..............nice cards!

Aquitaine and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Wonderful cards! No location known for the photo of the train wreck?

8. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I can make out the first word says "train" but that is about it in the caption along the bottom of the card. I looked at it under magnification and still can't make out what it says. The back of the card wasn't used so there are not any more clues back there. Would obviously love to know since it is a great RPPC card with a story to tell.

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I hadn't even noticed that printing on the front. Looks very blurred!

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Joe2007, had to blow it up to even see what writing you were talking about!!!! Maybe you can see it clearer with it sharpened, or not, but I also played with the lettering separately underneath....so also maybe you can figure out what it says other than 'train'!!

postcard train wreck disaster card-architectural-scale-2_00x-gigapixel.jpg

TRAIN WRECK POSTCARD.jpg

Figtree3 and Joe2007 like this.
  11. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Thanks! That helps considerably.

Train Wrecked Near ............ Island 8-02 .......

Draft saved Draft deleted