new attempt to ID Norwegian(?) pewter

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by SBSVC, Jul 5, 2020.

1. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Good website Fid but I don't think I saw anything that looked similar but maybe I missed it.

I did find this "set" that I think has the same tray. Unfortunately they don't say what the mark is that I read or show it and I think the Akavit is the beverage. I'm not sure I think it started as a set because the cups and decanter seem a different style to me.

No help I know but at least they also believe it to be Norwegian.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/splendid-norwegian-pewter-party-2007307804
    upload_2020-7-6_9-13-39.png

DragonflyWink and SBSVC like this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

SBSVC likes this.
  5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

My apologies for not coming back to this thread sooner. I've had a few bad days this week, health-wise.

Thank you so much, both Fid and SIS. If what's on the back is just the owner's scribble, so be it, but why would they write "tinn" on it - just so they remember?

Yes, SIS, that does look like the same tray you found on WP. I do agree that the pieces on it don't seem to go with it, but it's functional, anyway.

Thank you again, Fid and SIS. I really appreciate your input.

komokwa likes this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

take care and look after yourself; the rest is not important.

BoudiccaJones and SBSVC like this.
  7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thank you, Fid. That's very sweet of you to say!

8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The question would be are students/hobbyist required to have national marks on the pewter objects they make?

SBSVC likes this.
  9. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Well, there's a thought. I wonder how they would regulate that?

Thanks, Hollyblue!

10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I'm confused - what 'national marks' would be required by any maker?

(Glad you're feeling better, C...)

~Cheryl

SBSVC and Bakersgma like this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

https://macacke.com/norsktinn/marks/start.html

how do you want to export without a national mark ? how would the factory be registered in the commercial register and be known to the state for taxing ?

SBSVC likes this.
  12. DragonflyWink

I continue to be confused - please show me a source for 'national marks' used on pewter - it is not a precious metal, it is not necessarily exported (much purchased as souvenirs, and labels could be used for export), certainly any business would be registered, and their taxes paid (hopefully), but why would the production require 'national marks'? A quick look through the macacke.com site (very useful, I'd looked through it not too long ago after someone else cited it - INH, maybe?) doesn't seem to show any 'national marks', other than the sometime use of Swedish date numbers and town symbols, which is not a requirement on pewter. Have collected 20th century+ Scandinavian/Nordic pewter even longer than silver (though with less passion), and there is a wide variety of marks, some only marked as 'tin' 'tinn', 'tenn', or 'tina/tinaa', depending on country of origin, sometimes the English 'pewter' used, sometimes the country is noted, sometimes only the maker's mark, and sometimes any combination of those marks and others, and every once in a while, they're even unmarked. I'm always ready to learn - please show me the required 'national marks'...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    SBSVC and Bakersgma like this.
  13. DragonflyWink

14. DragonflyWink

15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

it is too much to explain you the European history from independent states that were themselves a bundle of smaller states like duchies etc. and then forward to the free cities with their guilds.
    everyone knows the old Nürnberg, Augsburg etc. marks.
    seems you are hanging on to an idea of Nation that only came into being in the 19th century.

16. DragonflyWink

Not sure exactly what idea you think I'm hanging onto, and you seem to be presuming quite a bit about my ignorance regarding guilds, but that really has nothing to do with this fairly modern item - again, can anyone show me the 'national marks' that would have anything to do with this piece?

~Cheryl

17. Hollyblue

That went sideways for a simple question. And the answer to the OP's piece ,from Neverland..... An apprentice pewter smith is asked to duplicate a piece for a test,he/she does and the journeyman tells "him" to add "Tinn" and his name and give the piece to his mother as a gift.

SBSVC likes this.
  18. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

A very interesting tidbit, Hollyblue! Thanks very much!

19. DragonflyWink

A reasonable theory, though unfortunately no way to know whether correct...

~Cheryl

20. Hollyblue

Yes,no way to really know.But the little story above relates to my interview and test after college at a jewelry designer's shop.