New Help with Worth

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by jeepdude2, Nov 3, 2019.

1. jeepdude2

jeepdude2 New Member

Hi,
    this is my first post but I need some help as the Antique shops around my house have not been any sort of help.
    the other night I posted the drysink in the photos up for sale and then received an onslaught of requests to buy. making me realize it might be worth much more than what I thought.

So I am looking for some help on actual value.

Let me be clear I bought this at the Salvation Army years ago thinking it would make a great wet bar (and knowing nothing about furniture), so I refinished it, which i will apologize for in advance.

Here is what I believe I know.
    1. It is Old.
    2. It looks to be made out of Pine
    3. It has been refinished by me and my ignorance.

Thank you all for your help in advance and for taking the time to read my rambling.

Joe2007 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome @jeepdude2 .
    Good that you asked here. I haven't a clue, but the furniture folks will be along later to tell you all about it.

3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I'd guess more likely maple.

How much were you thinking? If it had a cabinet over it or zinc or copper lined or original paint they can still be worth some money.
    As is, i'd guess $100-$150 at auction.
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/search/?keyword=dry sink&sort=-relevance&status=archive

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This is indeed a nice old piece and may very well be maple as James suggests. Would think mid 19th century. The door closure hardware and drawer pull are likely not original. Value varies depending on where and how you sell. Here in my semi-rural Midwest location, would expect to be in the $250.00 + or - at retail. Selling locally on craigslist or fb marketplace would generally be a bit off retail. You might do better or worse depending on location.

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome, @jeepdude2 -- It looks very useful, and people might like it for storage or as some kind of a work area?

Anyway, two of our furniture experts have already commented. I'm not a furniture expert, so that's about all from me. :)

i need help and James Conrad like this.
  6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Don't beat yourself up about refinishing. I only worry about original finishes on top-end items past a certain $ threshold.

In your case, I think you did a nice job with great end results.

7. jeepdude2

jeepdude2 New Member

Thank you all for the info and Kind posts.
    through some digging and asking my neighbor's dad, it is older, the hardware is not original.
    the Sink has served me well, and I will be putting it up for sale as-is for 150 dollars. and see if I get any takers.
    I hate to get rid of it, but our family willed us a very nice buffet that will be taking its place.

Draft saved Draft deleted