New here, was looking for help on identifying a copper and brass decor piece.

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by JBTTP2020, Jan 15, 2020.

1. JBTTP2020

JBTTP2020 New Member

Was wondering what this was. Copper and brass construction. Loop to hang. Extendable length rod that tightens with a screw for any length. Brass rivets. Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Sean

Attached Files:

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the board.
    Can you tell how big this is? Height and Diameter?

If only 1-2 inches, possibly a candle snuffer.

komokwa, Bakersgma and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Very interesting! Is it open on the bottom? Did it come this way or did you remove tarnish or any material.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Can we see the screw and the interior (what happens when the rod is moved?)

blooey likes this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

my mum had a sort of retractable fireplace brush that extended like this ..could the brush or business end bit be gone?

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  6. JBTTP2020

JBTTP2020 New Member

thanks for the quick responses. I'll snap some more pics and try to post again. I actually had images of the bottom, and yes it is open. The pic size limit was too large to upload it.

measures 6 1/4" high to top of handle. about 3 1/2" wide at the bottom.

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks like a lamp/ceiling fixture part but not sure how it would be used. You usually see that set screw and adjustment on ceiling canopies. The thing would sit opposite from pictured with the wide opening at the top. The rod would be attached to the mounting bracket and the cone-shaped canopy would drop down to access wiring. However, most ceiling canopies are several inches wider than 3.5" That would not cover most electrical mounting boxes.

On very old houses, there often are not electrical mounting boxes. Have seen bare wires just sticking out of the plaster. This is particularly true in old houses converted from gas to electric lighting. This would certainly cover the mount and wires in such circumstances.

8. JBTTP2020

JBTTP2020 New Member

Here are some more pics. It seems like some sort of lighting fixture, I agree.

Attached Files: