New Japanese Antique? Artwork Find

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Dshin, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Dshin

Dshin Member

Does these two look legit? Anybody know if they are authentic watercolor from pics? Bueller......Bueller......
    20200727_005035_compress49.jpg 20200727_005009_compress94.jpg 20200722_211246_compress55.jpg 20200722_211238_compress27.jpg 20200722_211230_compress99.jpg 20200722_203950_compress53.jpg 20200727_005021_compress11.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Japanese, not Chinese.:)

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Prints of some kind, not watercolor, too.

i need help likes this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It looks like the originals of these images would be woodblock prints. The details should be clear and crisp, but in your photos they look blurry, which would indicate they are reproductions (but it might just be your photographs). Can you examine them with a magnifying glass? If you see a fine pattern of dots under magnification, they are definitely color separation reproductions. But there are other reproduction methods that will not be quite as obvious.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Dshin, i need help and Bakersgma like this.
  5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

These look like prints to me, but by all means, do as recommended and double check with a magnifying glass! The frames look 1990s decorative from a home store, but this is just my opinion, please wait for others who may know more about oriental stuff to comment.

Dshin and i need help like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Dshin likes this.
  7. i need help

8. Dshin

Dshin Member

Wow. Again the members of this site again...amazing. thank you.
    Yes I had my doubts. I wonder if these are mass produced.

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  9. i need help

Others know more about that than I. I’m sure they will be around tomorrow to weigh in. :)

Dshin likes this.
  10. antidiem

Thanks for your recent lesson, if I would have had to guess, I would have guessed correctly! Thank you again, AJ! :joyful::kiss:

Dshin, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It worked! Thanks for letting me know, anti.:kiss: The original thread title had Chinese instead of Japanese.;)

Dshin, i need help and antidiem like this.
  12. antidiem

Those frames are definitely mass produced, but I am not an expert on oriental silk prints, likewise what INH recommends, please wait for other opinions! ;)

Your lesson was wonderful. I love when the members educate each other, such as you did, thank you so much! :joyful::kiss:

Dshin, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. i need help

Agree with Anti, the frames say Hecho en Mexico. Probably not suitable.

antidiem, Dshin and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted