New lamp to date

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Enrica, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Enrica

Enrica New Member

Hello again,
    I purchased a new lamp and of course, I know nothing about it...just that was a nightmare cleaning those little glass tubes.
    No markings. Porcelain cable connections inside, but, rope and plugs were replaced (took them off to clean it and will replace them with "safer" ones).
    Any idea ? 20190901_222327.jpg

Ghopper1924 and Bronwen like this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

It's pretty. To have the fringe/tassels survive without being broken or chipped is a small miracle.

It's kind of tough with just the one dark image to see exactly what it going on with this piece. A look at the lamp socket and a clear shot of the column would be helpful. How is the column attached to the base? Does it take a candelabra size bulb? What about height?

As it sits, I would estimate this in the early 1900s through the early 1920s range. This shade is referred to as a student shade as it was originally used in kerosene student lamps. A clear glass chimney would have been poking out of the top when used with a kerosene configuration.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. Enrica

Enrica New Member

Thank you Sabre,
    The glass pipes are actually almost all slightly chipped at the top, where they swing...fortunately only minorly. I've also noticed (while cleaning it) that on 4 of them they have replaced the iron wire which holds them with a thinner doubled one.
    I'm trying to get better pictures. But the limit of picture size on the website it's making it a nightmare.
    Measures 57cm height circa x 27cm width circa.
    The lightbulb socket fits large lightbulbs.
    The all base is separated and hold together by a central screw. The plug it had along with the switch and bulb holder were replaced I think.
    View attachment 200172 View attachment 200173 View attachment 200174

4. Enrica

Enrica New Member

The way the column it's built (has not been cut, all pieces are made to fit each other's) makes me think it was born electric...

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  5. Enrica

Enrica New Member

I think wire and bulb socket were replaced in the 50s 70s ? from the look of it.
    Or maybe the whole lamp is a 1950 / 1970 replica.
    I can't say truly, that's why I asked.
    (Of course, being a cheap scum, I bought it only because 1: i found it cute and colour scheme fitting....and 2: because it costed 30€.)
    (Mind you...the 1920s/1930s lantern with the Egyptian revival engravings only costed me 1€!!!)

Attached Files:

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's that late. That look was not in favor in the 50s - 70s.

Most certainly would have replaced the original cloth cord.

Some people email the photos to themselves at a medium resolution to get around the 1mb file size limitation.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted