New member + couple of artworks

Discussion in 'Art' started by Cn_antics, May 23, 2023.

1. Cn_antics

Cn_antics New Member

Hello, new member to this forum here.

I've always been a bit of a collector [read: hoarder] hunting down wild loot, but not part of a community in awhile. My collection is a bit of this and that, some glass, some ceramics, some art.

But I wondered about a couple paintings I picked up somewhat recently. They're both pretty good size, but not really a standard size that I know of. I think 22" and 28" and 16" and 30" -- roughly.

blanche.jpg rosse.jpg rosse2.jpg

I was immediately interested in the 2nd despite the damage. But not really sure about these. One is signed Blanche Fisher and the other looks like TF or JF Rousseau. My research found the style looks a lot like Henri Rousseau. I found a couple works of his where the figures looked very similar, but no other pieces with a similar signature. And the obvious Blanche Fisher I found was a famous illustrator for children's books who lived in the 1800 to early 1900s. Anybody know anything about these or if I'm correct about the artists?

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think you're referring to Blanche Fisher Wright and, that doesn't appear to be her work. Here is her signature for comparison.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The other is signed H. (for Henri) Rousseau and appears to be inspired by the artist's 1879 work 'Wagon in Front of the Mill.'

Debora

Henri_Rousseau_-_Wagon_in_Front_of_the_Mill.jpg

Figtree3, David Broom and Houseful like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Would you be kind enough to post a photograph of the Fisher painting? We always like to photographs of the complete work including frame, from both front and back, and shot from straight on.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Cn_antics

Cn_antics New Member

Thanks for all your help so far!

Yes, I was talking about Blanche Fisher Wright. I should have checked the signatures more closely. Guess it's back to the drawing board on that one.

As far as posting a photograph, I'm not understanding what you mean. Did you what another one that included the entire frame or a shot of the back of it?

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Shot of both front and back including frame is ideal. Frames are very helpful for dating. The backs often provide helpful information.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What country was the Blanche Fisher found in?

Debora

8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

5 Star Newbie Post-Pics Full Size first time !

9. Cn_antics

Cn_antics New Member

@Bosko... Thanks, I think

@Debora

Blanche was found in the United States. Here's a picture of the back. blancheback.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

No,i seriously meant it.Many 'Newbies' post thumbnails,some even an image link.Our more experienced members,many with a fair amount of expertise-may go thru a dozen (or way more) posts a day.It can really slow them down and bust their concentration.

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It would be helpful to be able to see the frame on the Fisher painting. From what I can see... I suspect it's newer than the painting itself which looks 1940s (and also doesn't look particularly American.) Why don't you open it up and see what's inside?

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I like the Blanche Fisher painting. Hope we can come up with an ID, but sometimes... the person just wasn't well known.

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I like it too. It does appear to have been reframed not so long ago. (The painting itself appears to be from the immediate post-World War II era (1940s-1950s.) Why don't you open it up and see if anything on back of canvas. The kraft paper can always be replaced.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. Cn_antics

Cn_antics New Member

Still doing some research on the Blanche picture. I did find a museum in Missouri (United States) that stated having a Blanche Fisher's displayed and they sent me a copy of an article about the artist. Not certain if the same person, though. Will keep digging.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted