Featured New Orleans Plantation Bedroom Set. Please help ID

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by geauxtigers1324, Jun 20, 2022.

1. geauxtigers1324

geauxtigers1324 New Member

My family owned several businesses as well as much land just north of New Orleans. This furniture set came out of my great grandparents plantation home. I do not know much about the furniture but I remember how beautiful it was as a child. I’ve tried to look for serial numbers or logos of some sort in hopes of identifying the manufacturer. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

interesting design....... brown.....but still interesting !

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Looks like an oak set with appliqué decoration ca. 1890-1910. Stained like mahogany. Beautiful! Without a stamp or tag identifying the manufacturer it will be difficult to ascertain a manufacturer as there were dozens or more across the country at that time. If you have access to any New Orleans furniture makers catalogs from the turn of the 20th century you might find clues there.

Figtree3, johnnycb09, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I do like this type of bed, I have one of the general type too.

I don't know anything helpful about yours other than I think the stamp on the wood that says 24/0 is a marking for plywood.

komokwa, pearlsnblume and NewEngland like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Since this is stained mahogany, I doubt it is oak. Meant to mimic mahogany, such furniture was usually made of mixed hardwoods, birch and poplar being foremost. Hard to say what it is since the varnish is so darkened.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  6. geauxtigers1324

Thank you guys so much for all the help. I look forward to seeing more replies with input and guidance. Any ideas or suggestions on who to contact that may have some furniture magazines. I remember my great grandmother telling me as a child that it was built in the 1800s. Also, they had new bridge on Lake Pontchartrain at that time and so they had to ship it from New Orleans to the North Shore by barge.

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Just a thought, have you pulled out all the drawers and inspected them inside, outside and bottom for marks?

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. geauxtigers1324

I Call myself doing that but I will double check once more… Thank you

Draft saved Draft deleted