Featured New testament

Discussion in 'Books' started by Nick72, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Found this new testament a couple of year ago, hard to date the Edition, looked extensively on the Net but could not find the year of Publication.
    It has obviously to be older than 1903 because of the Memento/dedicace written on the first Page.
    It measures 14Cm by 7Cm, had this very nice signet inside also.
    Since pictures are worth a thousand words..or less :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Pictures of the outside are not very useful. Title and other pages with information are what is needed to date it but off hand I'd say it is late 19th Century

3. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Thanks a bunch Afantiques....forgot this one thought i added it in my thread.

[​IMG]

4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The picture quality is too poor for my old and defective eyes to actually read much, but I stick with late 19th, early 20th C,

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Unusual proportions. Maybe meant to carry in a pocket?

Ghopper1924 and i need help like this.
  7. Bronwen

8. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Link Bronwen.

Man that is crazy as in mine i have a 4 leaf clover between pages also, it was so dry it disintegrated when i moved it!!
    this one is later than mine, Humphrey Milford( early 20th) was appointed to the Oxford press after Henry Frowde.

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  9. Bronwen

It may have been new at the time. When giver refers to 'these pages', he does not necessarily mean these very same pieces of paper, just a way of saying 'in the Bible'. When the magazine I read says that someone's work has 'appeared previously in these pages', they don't mean in the pages I'm holding in my hands.

Are you trying to find the year of first publication of Frowde's edition or date this copy? Maybe this Wiki snippet gets at it?

Frowde became vital to OUP's growth, adding new lines of books to the business, presiding over the massive publication of the Revised Version of the New Testament in 1881

i need help likes this.
  10. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Info Bronwen. This was given to Lt. Bartholomew by Mr. E. Buckland in 1903. ( could of been a new copy when given for sure in 1903)
    I know Frowde Through the Oxford press printed over a Million copies starting in 1881 and was replaced by Milford in 1907 at the head of the Oxford press.
    So from that Viewpoint my copy is narrowed down from between 1881 and 1903...not a huge stretch.
    The size is what intrigues me as i have seen many of Frowdes Prints but this size seems rather rare from the Info i was able to gather on the Net. Cheers.:)

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Bronwen

Particularly since the Bible was given to someone in military service, think you should further narrow research to pocket editions. :)

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  12. Bronwen

i need help likes this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I don't see any value except for near family members.

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Thanks Fid, that i knew....cheers. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted