Featured Newbe here, trying to identify an odd item.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Rick Erfert, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Rick Erfert

Rick Erfert Active Member

Says hand made, possibly cast has some metal weight of what my metal detector possibly says is silver?? Does not stick to a magnet.
    Antiqued black and gold finish.
    4 inch tall, 2 inch wide with a type of roll pin on the back that is magnetic. Worthpoint has something similar in a silver color and said to be an ancient Jewish vase by AYRE AMYR.
    Here comes the questions...
    What is is?
    What does it say in the type on the front?
    Age?
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Rick

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Hi Rick - welcome!

Can you provide a link or make sure the name is spelled correctly? That name didn't show up on worthpoint.com

It's small enough to possibly be a "tear vase" or bottle to catch and hold the tears of those who mourned the destruction of the Temple (Jewish as the worthpoint copy indicated) . According to a legend, it was believed that the Messiah would come when the bottle was filled.

Tears in a Bottle

3. Rick Erfert

Scoutshouse, I've added a few more pictures and a screen shot from worthpoint in the gallery under Rick's ATM.

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

5. Bronwen

Hello, Rick. Presumably it is bronze, the writing in Hebrew. We have some members who may be able to help, for instance @komokwa

6. scoutshouse

Nice, Bronwen

I found the worthpoint item.

Ancient Jewish Vase, Original by ARYE AMYR, Signed!

Hold up, there - not sure how it can be ancient and from his studio at the same time! It's a very contemporary presentation, in any case...

It's very similar to yours, Rick - but i didn't see anything specific about what it is made of - definitely didn't suggest sterling.

Take a closer look to see if your presentation box/setup is contemporary, or older. It looks to have some age to it and is much humbler looking - a good thing, imo

Joshua Brown, judy and Bronwen like this.
  7. Rick Erfert

Wow you guys and gals are good, I found very little information with my limited search skills (or lack of)
    I'd say it's a bronze also, seems to be the media that the artist worked in.

8. scoutshouse

Okay, I'm confused
    Is your box labeled arye amyr?

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it says Design & Execution ...by the artist.
    So, it's his take on an old vase, which I doubt is silver.

sabre123, Joshua Brown, judy and 3 others like this.
  10. Bronwen

Misspelling the first name was always going to be a handicap to successful searching.

11. scoutshouse

Two gals, so far... I inviting @komokwa :)

12. Bronwen

See label on back in pic added to the top of the post.

13. komokwa

no...just Amyr...in both languages..

14. Rick Erfert

this box has some age (how much who knows)
    Someone has been into it a one point and turned the back upside down when they used small modern staples putting it together.
    That along with some black looking masking type tape that the glue is dried out on (so I'd guess that was done 10 plus years ago)

15. scoutshouse

Really confused with which image relates to worthpoint item, or Rick's? esp since they're imported into the top? of the thread... How do you do that

I honestly don't think I could do that if I tried

16. Bronwen

Description for piece scouts found, which would be better titled Model of an Ancient Vase, says it has the word Israel on it.

17. Bronwen

18. komokwa

in ancient hebrew....not writing I see often...:(:hilarious::hilarious:

19. Rick Erfert

The 3rd picture (silver looking item in a screen shot) that claims ancient is the only thing I ran across when I searched.
    I had to google how to do a screen shot on my phone 2 weeks ago ( phone is much smarter than I)
    As far as importing pictures, just dumb luck.
    I added them to a gallery I had to make because my pictures were too large and when I added them in the gallery album they showed up in the bottom of the post.
    From there I saved them and they got added.

20. Bronwen

I wondered; it didn't quite look like Hebrew to me, but not like anything else either. And nothing else makes any sense. Ancient vase, ancient Hebrew, that fits.

Joshua Brown and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted