Newbie asks: What era is this from?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hikarupanda, Apr 17, 2015.

1. hikarupanda

hikarupanda New Member

Hi all, I'm a newbie here (and newbie in the antique world as well). I recently bought this jewelry wooden box at Marche Aux Puces in Porte De Vanves, Paris during my honeymoon. That's my first visit to an antique flea market, and now I'm so interested and curious about anything old yet beautiful, lol. Anyway, back to the box. Can anyone tell me what era is it from? It's marked Made in Italy at the bottom, the Parisian hostess at our b&b thought it's from around 1920s-1930. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attached Files:

• box.jpg
      box.jpg
      File size:
      124.8 KB
      Views:
    kentworld and KingofThings like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Hi, welcome to the boards and congrats on your marriage! I can't offer anything on your box but someone else may know instantly. It's possible that photos of the inside, the bottom, hinges etc. might be helpful.

There is a style referred to as "Florentine" that was popular and this may broadly fits that term. I think of that as a 1960s-70s thing (I think) but I could be completely off base. Someone else will know I'm sure.

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  3. hikarupanda

hikarupanda New Member

Thank you for the quick response! I am at work now, but you are right, I should post more photos tonight when I get home, especially the hinges and the Made in Italy marking at the bottom!

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think 50s or 60s, it's very typical of the souvenir stuff we saw on hols in Italy then.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome! :)

6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Wish I had spent more time sniffing out those treasures when I was there for the Eiffel tower celebration in '89. :)

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi
    Welcome to the wonderful world of antiques, not so antiques, and brand new future antiques.
    greg

8. hikarupanda

hikarupanda New Member

Thank you all! Based on some of the Etsy listings of florentine boxes that look similar to mine, it does look like it could be from the 50s...

9. hikarupanda

hikarupanda New Member

image.jpg Hi, I took more pics of the box. Are we pretty sure that it's from the 50s?

10. hikarupanda

hikarupanda New Member

11. hikarupanda

hikarupanda New Member

Looks like I can only upload one pic at a time on my phone...

Attached Files:

12. hikarupanda

hikarupanda New Member

13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Here's a 1947 ad, but I can remember seeing these, still being sold in department stores in the late '60s - early '70s:

~Cheryl

italianjewelboxes1947MilwaukeeJournal-a.jpg

14. hikarupanda

hikarupanda New Member

Wow! Thx!!

15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

002 (800x724).jpg I have this one... somewhat different because there are no feet on it, but resembles the one in the ad Cheryl posted.

On the bottom of mine "Made in Italy" is stamped on the wood. There is a paper label giving the artist and title of the painting depicted:
    Fra Filippo Lippi
    La Vergine in Ador. (dett.) --> Meaning it's a detail of the full painting
    Firenze (It's in the Uffizzi Gallery)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipp..._with_the_Child_and_two_Angels_-_WGA13307.jpg

kentworld likes this.
  16. Figtree3

And I also love the box that you bought in Paris, hikarupanda!

Fig

17. hikarupanda

hikarupanda New Member

Thanks! And yours is lovely too!

Figtree3 likes this.
  18. Figtree3

Mine is small... Just under 4 inches on each side, so different dimensions, but overall a similar size to the Medium box in the ad above.

19. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Am trying to catch-up on the forums. Fig, I have the same box as yours! Mine was given to us new back in 1966. Gee, the design on the sides look nearly identical to the Op's. our boxes. Certainly appreciate Cheryl's informative reply!

--- Susan

Figtree3 likes this.
  20. Figtree3

That's great, Susan -- If I recall, I bought mine within the past 10 years at an antique mall that we used to have here in town.

And I'm happy to have the date of mine... probably mid-1960s!

Draft saved Draft deleted