newbie stumped finding information

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by craig leach, Jul 22, 2019.

1. craig leach

craig leach New Member

Hi all I have joined this forum as bit stumped trying to find some information about a potters mark on a vase. I am a complete newbie to pottery and seem to be struggling with sourcing information. Any information would really gratefully received as the marks are on a vase from family and no information is known about it.

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Hi Craig and welcome!

Sometimes people don't look in the Introduction section for people looking for information so if the info you seek doesn't turn up here you might ask in the Pottery section.

Anyway, most times it's helpful to see the object along with the mark as sometimes that alone can jog someone's memory.

For made in England potteries a good site to check is this one which has lots of info. I don't see the exact combination of initials listed however I'm wondering if it might be Wild & Adams (Ltd) Longton? My Godden's book of marks doesn't show this particular mark for them however.
    http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/w/index.html

Someone may know it, I'll have little further look.

3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Craig!

Welcome to Antiquers..........

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. craig leach

craig leach New Member

Hi Judy pleased to meet you

i need help likes this.
  5. craig leach

craig leach New Member

That’s brilliant thank you, to be honest wasn’t quite sure what to put and where so my apologies. That’s brilliant thank you I do think they may be an mantchester/Lancastrian pottery. Once at laptop I’ll post some photos. Can I just say thank you for your help it is really appreciated

i need help, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. craig leach

craig leach New Member

I have tried to add a photo but its say it is too large and an error has occurred. is there a work around for this?

judy likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

i need help and judy like this.
  8. craig leach

craig leach New Member

Thanks on with it now

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. craig leach

craig leach New Member

This is front and back

Attached Files:

i need help, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Wonderful, craig. Just one more thing, I forgot to add, could you go back to 'edit' and click on 'full image' so your photos will appear full image?

i need help and judy like this.
  11. craig leach

craig leach New Member

Apologies I can’t see which icon is for full image

i need help likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

That's ok. :)
    It is next to each thumbnail photo, there are two options, thumbnail and full image. There is also an option to make all photos full image in one foul swoop;) but I can't see that now. I only uploaded one photo to check, so I didn't get that option.

judy likes this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

14. craig leach

craig leach New Member

I have found a couple of things from the wild and adams longton but both seem to go cold one is that they are predecessors of royal doulton or that they are a import from Czechoslovakia through ireland. will have to get them back out as certain they say England but thay are worn. if they are wild and adams it appears only in existence for around 4 years if read right. Thanks for the information all

i need help, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  15. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Pleased to meet you also.:cat::cat:

i need help likes this.
  16. craig leach

craig leach New Member

come to a complete standstill now as wild and adams longton seem to have no information at all. Im beginning to think that the piece that i saw marked up as royal doultan predecessor was same factory but after it was closed the remnants were hastily marked and sold. There is no information at all other than the same two web entries.

17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi Craig, and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!!! Can't help with your vase, which is very pretty, but I see you already have some good help!!!! When you're new, there are a lot of little 'nuances' to pick up on, but you'll catch on quickly!!:)

judy likes this.
  18. craig leach

craig leach New Member

Hi Aquitaine thanks it was given to me by my grandfather who only recals it was from his great grandfather. I have come to grinding standstill now with regards of where to progress on to. It is a pretty thing indeed

Draft saved Draft deleted