Newbie with a lamp

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by NathanL, Mar 6, 2021.

1. NathanL

NathanL Member

My first real post. The wife and I went thrift store shopping today. The pink one is what we came back with (we actually got two of them). Please disregard the hotel desk lamp in the picture.

They are weird, unique, fun, and I haven't a clue about them other than I stared at them for 15 minutes before the wife said "oh, just get them." What can you tell me about it?

Thanks!

20210306_195521a.jpg 20210306_195550a.jpg 20210306_195604a.jpg 20210306_195655a.jpg 20210306_195716a.jpg 20210306_201535a.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. NathanL

NathanL Member

A little more detail: the lamp itself is clear glass. The print with the instruments looks like it is on paper, but I haven't disassembled it to verify that is the case.

judy and ulilwitch like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Not sure I follow?
    So the instruments are like decals?

Clear glass?

judy, ulilwitch and Debora like this.
  5. NathanL

NathanL Member

We just took it apart to get a better look. The instruments appear to be prints that are adhered to the inside of the glass. Then there is this very hard material (plaster of some sort???) colored in both pink and gold that was plastered around the inside and over the top of the instruments.. Hope this picture will help 20210306_224303a.jpg

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Those are fun. And a pair is nice. The decoration is a trophy, more specifically a musical trophy. Somewhere in the 1930s to 1950s but from look of light fittings, earlier in period I'd think.

Debora

NathanL and ulilwitch like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Another example of a musical trophy, carved as sconces. Louis XVI style.

Debora

18092392_master.jpg

8. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

I love them.
    Debora, you are totally amazing.

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think the term for this is eglomise .Pretty lamps.

10. NathanL

NathanL Member

Debora - thank you for both answering and also sharing that sconce image.

KikoBlueEyes and Debora like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  12. NathanL

NathanL Member

It never dawned on me it might be gold leaf. After Johnny wrote eglomise and I read Debora's link I looked at the picture again. Sure looks like leftover flecks of leaf gold. The viewable part of the lamp has that gold color top to bottom so there appears to be a fair amount of it in there. Cool!

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. NathanL

NathanL Member

20210307_073701.jpg 20210307_073714.jpg Here are the two sides of it. Bad lighting, but you get the idea.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  14. NathanL

NathanL Member

Update: actually both lamps use different prints of the instruments on each of them, which makes them even more unique.

My next question is how do I figure out potentially what kind of shade and bulb would have been used originally in them?

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I don't know the answer to that, but you could try searching for lamps with rectangular bases (or maybe it's semi-rectangular) that appear similar, and see what sort of shades look good to you. Maybe you'll be lucky enough to find photos of period shades. As for bulbs, I have no idea...

NathanL likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted