Newer lacquered wooden box, Asian. Newsprint inside.

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Lucille.b, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I like how Tribal Art now includes the subtitles: "Asian, African, Native American, South Americas and Aboriginal".

Anyway, thinking this lacquered wooden box is Asian and not terribly old. Maybe 1990's or newer.

Would love some keywords. Trying to decide whether this is an Ebay item or not. Measures approx 11 inches across top. Sorry, first two photos got more reflection than I'd like, but you get the idea. ab1.jpg ab2.jpg ab2b.jpg ab3.jpg ab5.jpg ab4.jpg Thanks for taking a look!

judy and KingofThings like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd call it a gift box. It looks like the kind made for holding bottles of liquor. I'd say wine but it's not long enough. It's Chinese and not old. Beyond that..dunno.

judy likes this.
  3. Lucille.b

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Looks like. Your box is more Pier One (at least in the good old days) or Bombay Company than ancient China.

judy likes this.
  5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

6. Lucille.b

Thanks, Holly. I must have missed that post. Good idea to group it here. A bit more broad reaching than just "Tribal".

Evelb, totally agree that this is newer. Was thinking 90's or even 2000. It has some minor quality about it, but if I can't find similar on the used market on Ebay, probably going to donate.

There is a bit of damage to the top (thank you, GW tag) or it would have been a candidate for our local consignment shop. They sell Pier One, Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel and seem to do well w/Asian themed items, but I think that spot on the left side of the top will be more damage than they can handle for a newer piece. (An antique would have more leeway.)

judy likes this.
  7. Lucille.b

Draft saved Draft deleted