Newer necklace orange/red stone (India?) need keywords

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Would love to have links for a few Ebay auctions with similar. There must be hundreds of this type of thing on Ebay, but can't seem to find any. "Ethnic, tribal" --too generic. Maybe a few keywords would get me there, type of stone, etc. and/or can anyone find a necklace like this on Ebay? If yes, please post a link. Thanks!

Photos in following post:

Attached Files:

• or1.jpg
      or1.jpg
      File size:
      131.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Lucille.b

3. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

The orange beads look like they might be Carnelian. The red stone Could be also, but I doubt it. I recognize the red stone but just can't come up with the name of it. I'll dig out my gems book and see if I can find it.

Lucille.b likes this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Large stone looks like red jasper,necklace could be west/north Africa.Are the large metal "beads" bells?

Lucille.b and yourturntoloveit like this.
  5. Lucille.b

Thanks Bdigger and Hollyblue for taking a look.

The middle metal beads aren't bells. Just checked.

West/north Africa is an idea, and red jasper might be the large stone. Thanks.

I wondered about carnelian for the cylindrical beads, they seem warmer to the touch than the primary stone. Maybe plastic or could they be some kind of amber? Or would carnelian be warmer??

Not thinking huge value on this. I know similar was sold in small shops here in the 80's, 90's, maybe even still. But it seems a little nicer made than some. Just trying to find similar on Ebay to get a sense of whether its worth it to list.

Thank you.

6. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Carnelian would be cold like stone. May be amber......Hard to tell from a picture. Amber would probably have bubbles and dark spots (inclusions) in it when looked at with a loupe. Even though they are not clear, you might see the shadows of the inclusions.
    The stone I was thinking of for the large one was rhodochrosite.....but after a google search it wasn't it.

7. Paul Noonan

Paul Noonan New Member

I have read that bakelite and/or other thermoplastics were used in prayer/decoration beads in East Asia. They would melt plastic doorknobs etc., mix them with various things (amber dust being one of them) and recast them as beads. Not sure how accurate that is but I do have a similar necklace and the beads test positive for Bakelite (simichrome). Circumstantial, I know :). (simichrome). I will try to get a picture of it on here...

8. Paul Noonan

Paul Noonan New Member

Very wild guess..Is your main stone coral (with a heavy protection coat?) Those dark indentations at first glance remind me of rough cut coral.
    I have added some photos. First necklace looks like yours. I added second one because the bead coloring matches better. First one test for Bakelite. The second one does not but I have been told that it still is...Go figure.
    Paul IMG_1567.jpg IMG_1568.jpg IMG_1569.jpg IMG_1571.jpg IMG_1572.jpg

9. Lucille.b

Thank you Paul and Bdigger.

The red/orange beads on mine do not test for bakelite. They have a bit of translucence when held to a light. Now thinking not amber, either. No pitting or inclusions.

Still thinking there must be hundreds of (somewhat) similar necklaces on Ebay, but can't find the right key words to find any along these lines. Additional thoughts welcome. Thanks!

aa.jpg

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks Berber to me. That would make the beads and pendant some form of amber and coral, best guess. The beads are right, including those hollow thingies.

11. Lucille.b

Thanks, Evelyb.

Berber, north Africa has had the closest items. Just quickly scanned 800 Berber live and completed necklaces on Ebay, many have a patterned focal ornate metal bead, some with and without enamel, but all of the Berber have the same bead pattern. However, different than the metal beads on this one.

My inability to find a similar piece on Ebay is frustrating me. I can't even find anything with those multiple metal rings. I feel like these must be fairly common, so must be missing something.

Thanks.

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Jasper, faux amber, faturan amber.
    I can see some Yemeni influence, though not as nicely executed as Yemen silver. Maybe Horn of Africa: Ethiopia, Somalia.
    You can also try Arab, Middle East, or even Yemen, you never know.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  13. Any Jewelry

This is what I mean, those zigzag waves in the centre of the focal bead:
    aacf0744-ec84-11e5-803b-a717cf405690 (640x536).jpg

14. Any Jewelry

People who don't know much about ethnic jewellery tend to call everything vaguely oriental Kuchi, you could try that as well.
    The Kuchi are a nomadic tribe of Iranian descent, they travel in Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India.

15. Paul Noonan

Paul Noonan New Member

Any Jeweler how much do you know about Faturan? Or at least the validity of it. I have read the details around it but there seems to be a lot of financially driven facts out there so I hesitate to believe them.

Paul

16. Any Jewelry

Faturan was a German brand of formaldehyde resin. It was produced from ca. 1900 til WWII.
    It is often thought to be a traditional Middle Eastern mix of real amber and other 'stuff'. There may be something like that around, but Faturan was a brand name, so should only refer to that particular formaldehyde resin.
    It is still very popular in the Middle East and with collectors of ethnic jewellery, just like amber bakelite.

By the way, your necklaces look Yemeni.

Paul Noonan likes this.
  17. Paul Noonan

Paul Noonan New Member

Any Jewelry,
    Thank for the conformation!! I thought that it was Yemeni but I couldn't be certain. Makes me feel somewhat clever. :)....(I assume you mean the first one?). I have seen your comments on many post here. You know far too much. I am beginning to suspect your moniker is just a cover for two or three people. ;)

Thanks,
    Paul

SBSVC and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Certainly the first one, the second one could be Yemeni as well.

Thank you for the compliment, I'm blushing now.
    I am in fact a three-headed jewellery-eating monster, but not many people know this. Best kept that way.

SBSVC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted