Featured "Newton Braby" Watercolour Valuation Required "real good time at the zoo"

Discussion in 'Art' started by George Barnard, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Hi All,

Me again. I have have taken delivery of a watercolour painting signed "Newton Braby" (1890-1911). MOUNT SIZE: 9 INCHES X 11 INCHES, TITLED IMAGE SIZE 6 INCHES X 7.25 INCHES, painted between active time of 1890-1911, started at the age of 20 (if I remember correctly) in 1890, title of the painting is "real good time at the zoo".

(Images attached) Some discolouration of the paper is clearly visible.

I purchased this very cheaply and was purchased to sell on, fully aware I wont be making an overnight fortune.

If asking for estimates on this forum is a no no, please remove.

Just FYI, I have this booked in with a couple local auctioneers/antique stores after the holiday period as I feel this may be the best way for more accurate estimate. From what I have found online the prices vary across his work from £20-£700+, hence why I am asking for your guys expertise for a better understanding of what I have.

I hope this thread will create a talking point of interest and maybe help me with an estimate for the painting in question!

Thanks as always,
    George
    s-l1600 (9).jpg s-l1600 (10).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600 (11).jpg s-l1600 (13).jpg s-l1600 (14).jpg s-l1600.jpg

2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Hi George, unfortunately the foxing will make this a difficult sale. Braby only has 3 auction results which is what any auction house will use to determine pre-auction estimates. We typically do not look at gallery prices or what someone else is asking for. The 3 works that were at auction - only two sold and they were all oil on canvas and not watercolor which will also lessen the value. His highest auction price was $1493 back in 2008 for an interior figural scene and his most recent was 2015 and only reached $680. If it came across my desk, I would like estimate $150 - $300. Cute subject matter but a shame with all the foxing.

judy, bluumz, Bronwen and 3 others like this.

3. Hi Laura, The auctions you speak of are what I was referring to, the auctions are very much few and far between, but it is my own fault that I did not catch on about the different mediums, which is completely understandable to why this one would be of a lesser price. As for your incite regarding this, it's very much appreciated and the estimate is way more than I expected if I am honest. Would you have any further knowledge regarding where and when to sell such an item? As for the term "foxing", are we referring to the discolouration of the painting? I am new to this and unfortunately am not up to speed with the lingo... Thanks as always, George

4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

A simple Google search for "paper foxing" will give you tons of information.

judy, lloyd249, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  5. Foxing is an age-related process of deterioration that causes spots and browning on old paper documents such as books, postage stamps and certificates. The name may derive from the fox-like reddish-brown color of the stains,[1] or the rust chemical ferric oxide which may be involved. Paper so affected is said to be "foxed". For anyone as clueless as me..

6. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

now look how easy that was .

7. It certainly was...the sarcasm though? Hmmm?

8. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Sure, it may be a little sarcastic:joyful:
    Just take in mind it takes same time for searching "foxing" than asking on the forum;)
    You'll see we are friendly, quirky, facetious, often digressing, but always helpful when we can (lot of knowledgeable members:bookworm::pompous::wacky:)
    Welcome on board, George Barnard:)

judy, bluumz, Houseful and 1 other person like this.
  9. I am a very understanding person and have been on forums all my life and I also know it would have been quicker to search foxing. But, I didn't, then helpfully posted it on the thread for anyone else with little knowledge, like myself.

But for some pathetic comment to be made, is not just a little sarcastic, it is in fact pathetic. And referring to "we", I would consider the word "some".

If admin would like to delete the thread, please do so.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Oh Boy...here we go.........
    no scrap that ... here I go !!

Mr Barnard....welcome aboard the board !!!
    Thank you for finding and posting about foxing , for those who will look at this thread and learn from it... !
    & to that end... the Mods ( moderators ) decide if a post or thread is so against the rules here as to warrant deletion....and so far....a little hissing back and forth does not seem to outweigh the content here !

& as for that....your artwork was framed using a mat that has leeched acid on the paper...( the tell tale brown color where the mat paper has been cut) which also will lower any value it has...

The mat...the foxing...these are the 1st things one should learn about before considering the purchase of a framed art work.
    So , right there this thread has added value and should stay up !!

That's my 2 cents...4 now !!
    Happy New Year !!!

judy, BoudiccaJones, patd8643 and 3 others like this.
  11. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Looks to me as if your artwork is a book illustration.

judy, lloyd249 and Bakersgma like this.
  12. So it does!

judy likes this.
  13. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

It would seem the subject matter has a much happier ending than the San Francisco Zoo escaped tiger a few years back .... One should never taunt the tigers ( or lions) .... believe me , I thought about that episode very hard when I saw some "Kids" taunting the tigers at the Manila Zoo ( and there are / were? a lot of tigers there ) . I think it's a really neat watercolor , but then I have kind of a twisted sense of humor ( goes with the prior career).

14. lloyd249

that wasn't sarcasm, just a fact, you will know when I'm being sarcastic lol, good to know you learned something .
    HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

judy and kyratango like this.
  15. Just a fact! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Bad language removed and OP banned

now look how easy that was

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2020
    lloyd249 and judy like this.
  16. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:wideyed:@George Barnard THAT IS NOT THE WAY WE DISCUSS HERE:eek:
    Reported...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2020
  17. lloyd249

my apologies wasn't trying to be sarcastic (more of a smart as* lol ), just saying how easy it is to find foxing, as it's the most talked about thing in the art world .

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    kyratango and Bookahtoo like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted