Featured Nice diamond 14k ring. 1950s? maker?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Feb 26, 2020.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Haven't posted jewelry in awhile but today I found this ring with three nicer diamonds. I paid a little over scrap for it. The center diamond unfortunately has a visible black carbon flake but I don't mind. How old do you guys think it is? I was betting on 1950s maybe 60s? Thoughts? The maker's mark is IL but I couldn't find anything on them!
    20200226_173031_resized.jpg 20200226_173038_resized.jpg 20200226_173042_resized.jpg 20200226_173053_resized.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

something tells me 40's.....not sure why though.....only it's had a rough life !

Christmasjoy, antidiem and Bronwen like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I think it's even older than 1940s! ;)

i need help, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  4. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Nice! The center stone is a Modern Brilliant cut maybe .25-30 ct? The size is hard to tell from the photo. The prongs and the clean lines make me think 1940's-50's. Also, the prongs need re-tipped.
    If that gallery gets straightened out, and it is cleaned and polished , it will be fabulous! A great find!

5. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

6. stracci

The three stone ring you posted is new designer jewelry.
    The OP's ring is vintage. There are many styles of jewelry through the ages. If you take the time to read up on jewelry styles, you will soon be able to spot these styles and thus pinpoint the decade.

7. flipper

I appreciate that. I think sometimes it is very apparent when something is antique, but in the example (what is OP?) above, the ring looks "worn" and somewhat vintage, so when I found the one I posted, I saw the newness and the shininess, but thought the design was similar.

original piece, person, post?

8. stracci

Oh, sorry!
    OP refers to the Original Poster of the thread.

9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

There is nothing specific on the ring to date it to a specific time.The center stone is a modern brilliant which places it sometime after 1925.It is also in a fishtail setting which is still being made.The side stones are single cut,available today. This style ring was being made in the 60's.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's set in gold, rather than silver prongs. Silver prongs tend to mean earlier, platinum ones later. Gold prongs can mean 1940s.

i need help, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A sweet ring, spart. As stracci said, it needs a bit of tlc. It was probably worn every day. And some people don't take their rings off when doing the washing up etc.:rolleyes:

I'm with stracci and Holly, the centre stone is a modern brilliant cut, or Tolkowsky cut. This modern brilliant cut was introduced by Belgian Marcel Tolkowsky in 1919, but only widely used a bit later.

i need help, Bronwen and stracci like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

With jewellery the devil is in the detail and the combination of details. And even when you study those closely, there are so many things that can confuse you. (Why do we even do it! :arghh:)
    In the case of the ring you posted, the design, together with that simple bezel setting (stones with a band around it), point to recent.
    Which doesn't mean that bezel set stones are recent per sé, in fact it is one of the oldest types of setting. I know, confusing....:sorry:

13. flipper

SO much to learn...thank you to everyone for your pearls of wisdom. I love it all.:D

14. Hollyblue

There is no bezel setting on the ring.The small stones are bright cut and bead set on a "plaque" the solid part of the setting.

15. Any Jewelry

Holly, you do realize I was replying to flipper, and therefore referring to the ring in the link she posted?
    When it comes to spartcom's ring, I agree, the stones are very obviously bead set. But the ring flipper posted was a different ring, no bead setting there. So two rings, two different types of setting.;)

kyratango and i need help like this.
  16. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Is there some faint mark to the right of 14 k?

17. Hollyblue

It was early and I was still working on my first cup of coffee,guess my brain was still half asleep.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

I know the feeling, good morning.:)

kyratango likes this.
  19. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! I should note that the diamonds are set in a white metal of sorts, i dont know whether silver or platinum. Would that help in dating it? I will also take it to my estate jeweler and see if the can fix it up for a reasonable price.

20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Ah, it looked gold. Yes, that would help. Silver is earlier, platinum later.

Draft saved Draft deleted