Featured Nice little Alexandrite surprise today

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bdigger, Jun 20, 2022.

1. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Went to the antique shop today to add some stuff to my space and found these 2 nice Alexandrite pieces in a booth there for $20 ea. I snagged them and have no regret’s

4495F849-24FA-4901-BC38-DE9E0CEC4391.jpeg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Regerts either. I'd have bagged those so fast....

Lucille.b, judy and Bdigger like this.
  3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Alexandrite is chrysoberyl, a naturally occurring gemstone. Those two treasures appear to be made of glass. How did the name of one become a name for the other? Does it have to do with color change based on differences in light, or?

Lucille.b, judy, stracci and 2 others like this.
  4. Bdigger

@wlwhittier Yes, the glass is different colors in different lighting. Just like the Gem. Heisey called the color Alexandrite. Other makers called it by different names. But like the Gemstone......It can be expensive. Especially Older heisey pieces. Below is pictures of a Perfume Bottle I own showing the color change.

alex.JPG alex1.JPG

5. evelyb30

Alexandrite glass, properly termed neodymium glass. Aka color change glass. Anyone who's been around glass or costume jewelry, or both, would know the reference. Others might not.

6. Bdigger

7. Bdigger

Here is a picture of one of the pieces I bought today. One in incandescent light and one in fluorescent light.

16E6D13F-5AD0-442C-8D51-EC6AF2363D66.jpeg A677A13A-8C02-4AC6-B54B-B4FF1E81DE4D.jpeg

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The addition of rare earth metals to the glass recipe causes colour change under different light temperatures. Neodymium is one, others are also used. Alexandrite glass, as a term, is because the neodymium colour impact resembles the natural gemstone.

judy, Figtree3, BoudiccaJones and 4 others like this.
  9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

And they are so fun!

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They are, up there with UV lights.

My A level Physics comes back to me....!

11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Let's face it, they're fun. I have this little neodymium Fire and Light star. When I walk into the room and it's a different color I almost gasp. Like it's alive!

Cheap thrills, but there you are.

Gorgeous bowls, Bdigger. A+ on the physics exam, Bear!

12. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

fullsizeoutput_96ab.jpeg fullsizeoutput_96a8.jpeg fullsizeoutput_96a6.jpeg Our discussion caused me to recall a cut Alexandrite I had squirreled away...but where? Unusually, when I awoke the answer was clear!

Obviously a synthetic stone...but an almost forgotten bauble revealed, and so I share what little I know.

~20 carat, 17mm diameter at the girdle, 8.77mm deep. I haven't examined it microscopically (not that I'm smart enough to determine anything significant thereby) so cannot even say if it has inclusions, or if there are chips on any of the facets. I cannot say where I got it, nor at what cost.

The 1st pic is under LED light; the 2nd is spotlighted by small LED flashlight; the 3rd is an older incandescent flashlight.

Thanks for all the lessons about the glass version of this delightful color-changing effect.

13. Bdigger

Very Nice~ I was fortunate enough to obtain a few Natural alexandrites back in the 70's. Small stones but nice color change. One 3x3 trillion I had set for myself in a ring.....but alas it was stolen in a burgalry. I still have the others put away somewhere. I even have a natural Alexandrite cats eye. The color change isn't spectacular, but it is observable.

judy, Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
  14. evelyb30

There are also multiple synthetics, and an art glass that's called alexandrite glass. It's technically neodymium glass, but most people use the other name.

15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

A neodymium bird-shaped bowl I have:
    Dscn3695zz.jpg

And a Cristaux d'Art vase I used to have:
    NeodymiumStLouisCristauxdArtCrystalGlassVase-b.jpg

16. baltojoe75

baltojoe75 Well-Known Member

That's so cool. I had never seen this glass before, only the gemstone.

Draft saved Draft deleted