Featured Nice old bottle

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Serendipity, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Serendipity

Serendipity Member

I don't have much experience with old bottles, but this one looked really great to me so I purchased it at an estate sale. The color is somewhere between amber and green. Can anyone help me identify it?

bottle.jpg bottle 1.jpg bottle 2.jpg bottle 3.jpg

2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

scoutshouse, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@flipper, you have to stop using image search and just posting anything that seems to look the same.

The quality of Blenko is well beyond this piece.

There is a good chance this might be Mexican glass from the 1960s/70s. Only my guess. I'm basing it on the shape, color and the top.
    upload_2020-4-16_10-35-49.png

Also it is probably a decanter missing the stopper.

Wait for other opinions.

4. flipper

blen.jpg [​IMG]
    Sorry, cluttered, but I did not see the obvious differences in the two. It was only a suggestion.
    Side by side I guess one glass looks much clearer.

However, I must add, if I cannot make a suggestion and I can't be wrong, and I have to cite my sources....where does the learning come in? How do we become more educated, if we don't take chances, and guesses, and risk making mistakes?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  5. Crim000

Crim000 Active Member

@Serendipity blown glass with flared lip the mark on the bottom is called a pontil. Where the bottle was held with a rod in the blowing process and broken off. Not sure on age Bottom seems to not have much wear but would have to have it in hand. The lighter the better not heavy and you don’t want orange peal

clutteredcloset49 and Bronwen like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

The learning comes in before you make your posting. When you find something similar. Then you start researching what you found:
    1. To see if it is indeed what the person from ebay, etsy, or sold on worthpoint said it was. You need to know if the person knew what they were talking about.
    Many times they don't.

2. Learn to do research from reputable sites. You might want to start brushing up on some of these just so you have places to investigate. Also, when they reopen, go to your library and start checking out books in the areas you are interested in.
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/glass-pottery-marks-reference-library.430/

I realize you want to participate and help.
    However, when you post inaccurate info to people who are new to the board and you are the first to respond. The newbie takes it as true and may never come back to see corrections from other boardies. The newbie goes off to ebay with your inaccurate info and uses it to post a listing, which in turn gets copied and now we have a spread of bad info. Maybe somehow that bad info gets linked to Antiquers.

7. clutteredcloset49

When someone comes to the board asking for help. They are not asking for you to take chances and make guesses. They are asking for educated answers based on some knowledge. Not just a google image search.
    If you are making a guess - then you need to state it.

You become educated by doing your homework and research. Start with things you like. I posted the link to a lot of online references if you are interested in glass or pottery.

If you are interested in jewelry you may find sites here of interest.
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/jewelry-id-library.452/

Once you have found an area you like and have done some research, then you need to start going to antique stores, flea markets and handle the things that you have been researching. Ask questions.

kyratango, quirkygirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. flipper

I appreciate your suggestions...but people post inaccurate things all day long...that is why there are other people that have more knowledge that can correct them or give their own opinions and demonstrate the differences.
    "I have a 17thC chair"....no, sorry, that is from the 1940s...I know this is rare...no, sorry, they were mass produced up until last year...
    I preface my findings with things like, "How about this? Does this look similar? I found this...." it's all fine to want to provide accurate information, that is why we are here...but maybe a little less attack and a little more, "Sorry, Flipper...she WISHES that were Blenko, but Blenko has these characteristics and that bottle is a piece of crap, etc" Just sayin.

komokwa likes this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

Don't misunderstand me. I want you to learn and to help others with what you have learned.

I don't want you to keep googling pictures and posting as if that is the ultimate answer, unless you have done some research to back up what you are showing.

I do not try to beat someone else out with the first answer, as sometimes I think you do.

And just so you know, I am not always correct. I have been wrong many times and I will be the first to admit or apologize.
    If I don't know and am just speculating, I will say it is my Guess. I will say wait for others to comment.
    I will say I found this on the internet, but I don't know that it is correct, - if I have not been able to find another.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

That's the person asking for relevant info.

That is not you answering

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. clutteredcloset49

I am not attacking you.
    I am trying to teach you to research.

She doesn't wish it were Blenko. She probably hadn't thought it was Blenko until you showed a wrong ID.

kyratango likes this.
  12. flipper

Maybe you could read some of my posts, instead of generalizing. I am usually very clear that I am guessing, may not be in the right country, on the right planet, in the correct wheelhouse, etc. but I also say Wait for the pros to chime in, you best wait until you hear from someone that knows what they are talking about....

13. flipper

It was just a picture...if I had not put the source of the picture, perhaps you may not have known it was Blenko, either?

Sorry, serendipity, my comment was just an example of how to say something and come across a little less caustic, with a little bit of levity...
    Maybe you have never even heard of Blenko!! I know I hadn't until someone asked for information on a pitcher with an indentation in the side of it.......

14. flipper

Sorry, I annoy you, cluttered. I am here to learn and have fun with others. If I were an expert I would say so and maybe stick to my own area of expertise...but I am not. I am a lifelong learner and like to guess and take chances in an effort to solve the mysteries that are presented to me. And, as far as being the first to post? I look forward to responding to someone to start the conversation, that's all.

15. clutteredcloset49

16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

You did not find this to be sufficient qualification on Flipper's part? If the question were mine, I would understand the response simply as a possible lead on a line of research, far from a definitive answer. And, as the OP, I would not expect the community to do all the work for me. All help appreciated, including speculation & tips on directions I might take research of my own. Most answers that get posted are not the best answer.

You're not usually so combative Cluttered. Are you OK? This can be a nerve wracking time for any of us. Would hate to see it also infect the forum.

komokwa and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  17. clutteredcloset49

I saw it. And no I didn't.

Sorry.
    It's just that it bothers me over and over that links to ebay, etsy and worthpoint are often posted as the answer by flipper with no back up.
    I take a lot, but when I am done. I AM DONE!

Most of us who are experienced would further research any information given. And you are right Serendipity would probably do the same.
    However, many of flippers answers are to newbies.

My apologies to the board for loosing it. I'll hang my head and go to my room.:sorry::sorry::sorry:

18. flipper

Serendipity has been a member since 2017, so I imagine she did not get too misguided by my "knee-jerk" inaccurate responses. This was not fun.
    As one of the many things I have learned here...let me just say, "Sorry to Hijack your thread."
    Good luck with your search

komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

@flipper I know you are trying to help, but it is often a good idea to wait for those who know more about a subject than you do. We all learn that way, and in time you will be able to help with informed replies.
    I have learned a lot from cluttered and others just by reading the threads on subjects I had never even thought about.

That doesn't mean you can't still have fun and post silly remarks, or simply say something is beautiful, or 'like' something.
    But it looks like you feel you have to reply even if you don't know anything about the subject, or a thread will be forgotten or something. Most threads get picked up at some time, and a lot of the time correct id's are given, often with nice background info. And if you still feel it will be forgotten, you can always tag someone.

Cluttered never said the bottle was crap, btw, I think you misread that. She would never say that.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    quirkygirl and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  20. flipper

I will not belabor the point anymore. I did not get your "tag" by the way...but my message was MY idea of a response. I never attributed it to her. Thank you

Draft saved Draft deleted