Nichols and stone arm chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by John C Horton, Sep 21, 2019.

1. John C Horton

John C Horton New Member

komokwa likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Hi John and welcome!

What additional information are you looking for? You know the maker and the date of manufacture. It doesn't show in the current online catalog that I saw though.

i need help likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Those do look like the same shape. Too bad the ad doesn't provide a name for it. The name, assuming there is one for a 1994 product, is about the only thing John doesn't know that might be important at some point. (Although the "upcycling" hasn't helped them IMHO. Sorry John, I'm not a fan. But to each their own.)

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

judy, James Conrad and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I am goin with Bakers on this one, anytime one takes a blow torch to furniture, i don't see how that helps it.

7. Bakersgma

At first I thought someone had "grain-painted" it (because it's so obviously NOT actual woodgrain structure.)

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice chair....the grain really pops !!!!!

9. John C Horton

John C Horton New Member

No one grain painted it it was in its natural state when I got it , this is what happens when you take a torch to certain types of wood
    I have done several other pieces this exact same way from " this end up " furniture with the same effects

judy and komokwa like this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

11. John C Horton

John C Horton New Member

i need help likes this.
  12. Bakersgma

But the chairs in that ad photo are not in "their natural state" - which I define as plain wood, without stain, paint or sealant. Those have been both stained and sealed by Nichols and Stone - they did not sell them unfinished (like This End Up.)

Like I said, I am not fan of this method of treating wood furniture - I didn't even know it was "a thing" until I saw the Google link I Need Help posted. But you must like it to have gone this route and as long as you enjoy it, that is what's important. :)

judy, James Conrad and i need help like this.
  13. John C Horton

John C Horton New Member

I meant as a natural state as in the way it came from their factory and yes this type of refinishing has quite a following

14. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Not my 'cup of tea' but am glad you are pleased with it.

judy likes this.
  15. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Well, not sure why the OP would need any further information than he already has, but at risk of being hit with cyber-tomatoes, I kinda like it - what was an ordinary relatively new, factory made piece now has a unique, and not unattractive to my eye, look (certainly better than some of the awful paint treatments - and I like painted furniture).

My brother used to lathe-turn huge wooden candle pedestals in the early '70s, and used a blow-torch on them, not just for the look, but it also made them less likely to catch on fire (it's an old Japanese technique) - somewhere, I have an Asian cedar packing box of no great age or quality, the blackened grain really it's only attractive feature...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  16. John C Horton

John C Horton New Member

Thank you cheryl

judy likes this.
  17. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Seems clear that Komo and I are in the minority in finding your work attractive, but you really did a nice job, and while it wouldn't really fit with my decor, I'd admire it in someone else's. Wouldn't likely approve if it were an antique, but it's kind of refreshing to see a different spin - 'round here Windsor chairs are usually painted in bright colors, or multiple colors, or that weird 'color-dip' thing...

~Cheryl

18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It takes every kind of people , to make the world go round !
    Robert Palmer.

19. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

True, whatever trips your trigger in furniture is fine by me. Still, i can see why there is not a big fan base for this kind of furniture decoration in an antiques forum. :cigar:

Bakersgma, judy and DragonflyWink like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted