Niemann Table Co

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Maverick8550, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Maverick8550

Maverick8550 New Member

Does anyone know anything about the Niemann Table Co? We are trying to figure out the history of this piece of furniture that has been passed down through the family.

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

3. verybrad

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. verybrad

This ad for a table asserts that the company was in business from 1890-1929. Not sure how reliable that is since the first article I posted is about the Niemann's withdrawing from the Niemann and Weinhardt company in 1904 and the second article states that the company was founded when William withdrew. It might be an approximate date for the companies end since I so see some 1920s era products from the company in my search.

http://writeonwriter4hire.blogspot.com/2012/06/example-ad-for-niemann-fine-dining-set.html

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Maverick8550

Maverick8550 New Member

Wow thank you for all of the information! I had no idea where to look for some of this stuff. If I could tap y'alls brains just a bit more, and please keep in mind we are not looking to sell this or paint it in some obscure color. Just a few questions about the piece of furniture.

What kind of wood do you think this is made out of?
    The hardware on the door isn't original, and for some reason I am missing a picture of it so ill dig out one of the pieces of hardware that is original. Do you all know where we could purchase original hardware for the doors?
    --Ill get a picture of the one piece of door hardware up here in a bit

I attached pictures of the buffet. IMG_0710.jpg IMG_0724.jpg IMG_0711.jpg IMG_0721.jpg IMG_0725.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. verybrad

Circa 1920 with a walnut finish. However, it really appears to be a more non-descript wood such as birch that has been stained a walnut color. This has obviously been refinished at some point so it is hard to tell what this looked like originally.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Maverick8550

Maverick8550 New Member

Thank you for the quick reply. My wife doesn't recall it ever being refinished, but Id really love to know what you saw that lets you know its been refinished for items I might purchase in the future. That kind of knowledge can be priceless!

Also, here is a picture of one piece of the original door hardware. Does anyone know where I might find another piece like it? 3BCAA30C-4053-40C5-82C7-5EA3A1486420.jpg 9E317285-E90E-42FB-A555-4A31E6BCBD9E.jpg 57F8CCDD-446A-4D87-B47A-B3E1807F9F23.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    99% of the time you need to replace all of the knobs. I say that since I looked for years for a replacement knob. Finally replaced them all and 3 months later I found the replacement knob I needed.
    greg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. verybrad

Rarely does a piece of furniture have a nice clear finish like this after 80 years or so. Also, the way the door shows the light and dark variation in the individual boards. Factory finishes usually are done to mask these kinds of variations. When refinished, rarely does the refinisher even out the toning. A look at the underside of a refinished piece will usually show some original finish and drips from the refinishing process.

As for the hardware, ebay might be your best bet. There are some dealers who specialize in old hardware but it is always hit or miss if you can find a piece to match. You are more likely to find a complete old set that is similar than you are to match yours exactly. You never know. With some persistence and patience, you might get lucky.

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  10. verybrad

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. TimZ

TimZ New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted