Featured Nippon Porcelain Collectors - Mark?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Nov 3, 2020.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Part of what I love about looking for treasures in thrift stores is the detective work. In this case, I found a little, rectangular, domed, porcelain box, with a "Hand Painted Nippon" mark. The box is quite small at 3 1/2 inches long, 1 3/4 inches wide and 1 1/2 inches high. I'm guessing it was a piece of a vanity set. I really looking to learn about Nippon porcelain, in case something special comes along. According to this Real or Repro link the mark is correct (Figure 14) or pre1921.
    https://www.realorrepro.com/article/New-Porcelain-Marked-Nippon Is the mark correct? I paid $2.25 for this, so if I am wrong I will just give it back. Thank you for any thoughts or comments.
    IMG_7311.JPG IMG_7318.jpg IMG_7323.jpg IMG_7322.jpg IMG_7320.jpg IMG_7319.jpg IMG_7312.JPG IMG_7315.jpg

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Looks like the real deal NIPPON to me, though my eyesight isn't good enough to be able to see if this was a decal applied, or a very quick brush painting. I think someone here will be able to see it and will know if a decal was ever used for Nippon. If so, I don't remember that.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  3. antidiem

Were the feet original to the box, or a later applied addition? They look glued on? But maybe the yellow color is the glaze pooled around the feet?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

I looked at it with my magnifier app and there’s like a little dot to the side that is like a tiny brush stroke so I think it’s hand-painted at least as far as I can tell there is a slight haze around the mark at the top but I think that this maybe some bleeding
    I appreciate your thoughts about this thank you

antidiem likes this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

sorry didn’t give you a picture of the inside but there is a little dip for each foot so they’re actually original

antidiem and Bakersgma like this.
  6. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Pretty little ceramic box. Yes, prior to 1921. You might search the mark using the term 'rising sun'. Don't know if it was ever identified.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

So excited to hear this. I will search rising sun for more information. Thank you

8. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. April Lambert

April Lambert New Member

Hello, nice job. The mark is handpainted and is real. It's called the rising sun mark. A well known mark of Japan. Thanks for sharing.

KikoBlueEyes and antidiem like this.
  10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

11. antidiem

I'm not sure I've ever seen a piece of Nippon with factory applied feet, that with the nice quality hand painting which is typical to Nippon, give it visual appeal and value. It's an attractive and adorable little piece. Perfect for that special little ring or cotton ball on a vanity table! :joyful: :joyful:

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  12. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Nice find Kiko. Its beautiful!
    Mikey

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

SBSVC and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

OK :D:D:D:D:D:D It had been sitting there for about a week, when I decided to flip it over. Now that I know it's real, it will become part of my permanent collection. Thank you.

antidiem and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

16. KikoBlueEyes

I really should have taken this view when I was doing the pictures. Sorry. I'm glad it has some unique characteristics. It's amazing that a tiny thing like this would last for more than 100 years.
    IMG_7422.jpg

antidiem likes this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

Mikey. I was pretty jazzed. I've have looked at marks endlessly trying to find something antique or at least older. This one I grabbed right away and flipped it on its belly and there it was "Nippon". :)

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  18. 916Bulldogs123

I really like the design. Simple and elegant. I would say it is 1910-1915. Maybe a bit earlier. So glad you finally found something.
    Mikey

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  19. KikoBlueEyes

Perfect. Even better dates. This is all about learning how to spot the right stuff. Thank you for narrowing the age down and liking the piece. It changes my outlook on it.

20. 916Bulldogs123

You are very welcome.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted