NJ / PA Antique Chairs & Tables

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by chrmrtz, Nov 6, 2019.

1. chrmrtz

chrmrtz New Member

Anyone know information about these items?

These chair's and table's have been in our family for over... 60 years??

We are pretty sure that they date a lot earlier than that considering our relatives / ancestors kept everything.. FOREVER. Lol!

We are not desperate for money but would like to sell them to someone who would appreciate them and can be enjoyed for another 100 years!

The chairs have been repainted with decorations somewhere in between the 60s ~ 80s? They are also not in the best condition or most strong shape as they have little wobble to them and small nicks and dings here and there throughout.

Located in:
    TENAFLY, NJ
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

moreotherstuff and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. chrmrtz

chrmrtz New Member

More pictures.... 1.5.jpg 2.5.jpg 3.5.jpg 4.5.jpg 5.5.jpg 6.5.jpg 7.jpg 7.5.jpg

3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Hello! The chair at the top are known as "Fancy Chairs", usually a solid color painted background with either stenciled or hand painted decoration on the crest rail, seat and legs.
    They came in at the end of the federal period and were popular all during last half 19th century & into 20th.
    Since the painted decoration is not original, value would be minimal.
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/search/?keyword=fancy chairs&sort=-relevance&status=archive

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

What's written on the bottom of that one chair?

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Most are pretty old (other than the bamboo piece) but don't see anything terribly valuable here.

6. James Conrad

Lambert "Hitchcock" I think kind of invented this style of chair in mass production and had a factory in Connecticut which may still be in operation.
    Baltimore was also a major center for this "Fancy" style furniture during the 19th century.
    Thing is, literally millions of these chairs were made over a long period of time so A LOT of them around.
    There are collectors who specialize in "Hitchcock" fancy chairs & some of those can get pricey, even the 20th century vintage examples.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  7. James Conrad

8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

A "Klismos" chair depicted in Athens, 420 B.C. Wouldn't this be the prototype for Finlay's Neoclassical "Fancy" chair?And all those 1940s "Duncan Phyfe" dining room chairs as well? Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 5.40.01 AM.png

9. James Conrad

Yes and Probably

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  10. chrmrtz

chrmrtz New Member

Hmm ok wow very interesting! I've shared the information with my family. We didn't think they were anything of extreme value.. but we know there are a lot of people interested in this sort of thing. Maybe even people who like to restore pieces like these?? They could certainly use some loving. I'm sure they would become nice little chairs! Like I said. Not looking to become rich (obviously) Lol! but hoping to find someone who appreciates this sort of stuff!

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

KikoBlueEyes and James Conrad like this.
  12. James Conrad

If you notice the crest rail, it is large and nothing to interrupt it's sweep across the top of the chair, was called a "Tablet", perhaps in deference to the ancient world.
    Many of these Baltimore chairs had "tablets" that were hand painted of buildings or streetscapes around the city.
    Creme de la creme of American fancy chairs were made in Baltimore, no doubt.

Figtree3, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  13. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

These fancy chairs rightly considered Windsors, and are more mid to late 19th century than early 19th century. These half spindle backs were the last gasp of one piece seat Windsor chairs. I would have said new england factory rather than Baltimore but maybe because that is what I mostly see. I also think the paint on the windsor's may be original, at least on the two black ones. The gilding lines look like they have been gone over at a later time, however (gilding is always the first to go).

The chinese table could be mid 20th century to 1990's or so, I have seen them with "Peoples Republic of China" labels from the Nixon era and also simple China from earlier in the century. The other table looks early 20th century to me. Finally, the green chair/settee looks 20th century as well, and that is clearly not original paint.

14. chrmrtz

chrmrtz New Member

Ok awesome thanks for the information! I have them listed on our local Craigslist.. They are just sitting stored away here at the house.. We dont really have the room to display them anywhere.. Hopefully somebody out there can enjoy them and appreciate them more!

James Conrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted