Featured Nocturn venice grand canal 18/19century

Discussion in 'Art' started by Misterke123, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Misterke123

Misterke123 Member

I have (what i think) an amateur painting from “venice grand canal in moonlight.”

The painter mistakingly painted the two (twin) towers of the church “Della salute” on the wrong side of the big dome and the work itself is not in the best condition but aside that it is actually painted pretty good. I bought it a while ago for a few euro because it was so different and looked pretty old and mysterious.

I recently noticed that there is a vague signature at the bottm right but barely visible and i dont know how to decipher it. Only in certain light and at a certain angle its visible.

If its amateur then there s not much to research offc but if anyone can connect it to the style of a certain painter or has a similar work or is able to photoshop the signature so that its visible i ld be happy to hear it!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maybe @Aquitaine can work her magic on the siggy?:)

kyratango, dude, Misterke123 and 2 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Would you post a photograph of the back please? And certainly doesn't date to the 1700s (18th century.) Appears to be early 1900s (20th century) or -- a tad earlier -- late 1800s (19th century.)

Debora

Misterke123 likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I didn't post them all full image, this one is there as well:

[​IMG]

kyratango and Misterke123 like this.
  5. Misterke123

Misterke123 Member

thanks for all the replies already! Looking at the back it must be 19th century, someone even said the canvas looked handwoven but that says nothing about the age of the work itself

The pictures are from a few months ago and i changed the contrast seemingly to see the details better. This is the original color,

E9CB523E-53F1-450B-8A61-D7F09E468363.jpeg

i also found another amateur painting like mine online but not as good, and a bit overpriced
    https://www.proantic.com/en/display.php?mode=obj&id=477255

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi....I've been playing with that Siggy for longer than I'd like to admit!!! And truthfully, don't have anything much clearer than one of your posts!!! If you are using either a flash or bright sunshine, I'd suggest trying a more subdued lighting arrangement.....the bright areas are causing too much contrast for me to work around.....towards the RIGHT end I can definitely see some letters.....maybe an "l, w & k plus a possible 'u' with umlauts (?) and lastly I THINK an 'i'......might not be English either.......guessing there.....would be happy to try again if you can reduce the glare!! Here are my 'not great' results!....I inverted both attempts hoping for better contrast.....you can see it didn't help....much.....sorry:sorry: And in the second image.....there IS more to the LEFT, but definitely NOT readable....at least NOT to ME!

DE0E-TEST-1A.jpg DE0E-TEST-2A.jpg

7. Misterke123

Misterke123 Member

Oh god i tried to photograph it in sunlight yesterday but i cant get a proper photo of it. It is probably an overpainted signature. Thanks for you help so far i m writing down all possible Outcomes.

attached are a few new photographs but i guess its the same as the ones i attached before. I ll try and ask a restorer to look at it again under uv light or some sort E1E7E596-D909-43D4-9235-EC4E14908854.jpeg 7FD1FC7E-CA74-422E-B4A9-5126BBAD352F.jpeg

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted