Northwest Coast carving?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Lucille.b, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

This measures approx. 8 inches front to back, 4 across at widest just over 2 inches high.

Am I correct calling it "Northwest Coast"? Also how old do you think it is? Fairly dense feeling and heavy wood, weighs 1lb 2oz.

There is one rough spot in the carving --almost looked like either notches were added, or some error during production, see last photo, just above the wing.

Thanks for taking a look.

north1.jpg north2.jpg north3.jpg north4.jpg north5.jpg

2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I'm afraid it is a recent reproduction from Indonesia. The wood and the carving just isn't right for Northwest Coast. The real thing would be made from cedar, which is very light weight, for one thing.

Similar in "style" but antiqued to look old. Unfortunately, fake Northwest Coast decorative art from Indonesia has flooded the market in the last 10-15 years.

3. Lucille.b

Thank you, Taupou.

This was at the thrift store today. So not much $ invested, but I noticed a few red flags (remnants of labels on the bottom, plus the crazing seemed a bit suspect) but had hopes it might be something. Good to have a clarification as to what it is. I very much appreciate your expertise, so kindly shared.

You are a treasure to have on this board. Many thanks.

4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Thank you for the kind words, I just wish I could have been the bearer of better news!

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Actually, this is not a wood carving, but a cast item. Likely made under the name "Shamans," and dating to around 1970-1980. That would have been reflected on a foil label, now missing.
    It is surprisingly common to mistake castings of NW items for wooden carvings.
    The easiest way to identify these is simply through long experience; if over the last 20 years one has seen a dozen identical items, then it is a cast repro, not a wood carving.
    Failing that experience, I'd suggest becoming familiar with wood, all types, all sorts of carvings.
    One of the most obvious signs is that wood grain in a carving is reflected in variations in porosity, and often variations in color. It is not shown by surface texture. When surface texture shows a wood-like variation of raised and depressed areas, with no change in porosity, this is indicative of cast-in, fake wood-grain. An actual carving process would have removed these textural variations.
    Many such cast items will fail the hot-pin test; but not all.
    In this item one may also note that the shapes, the eyes, and so on, are not done correctly for Native work. The are close, but not correct.
    Again, developing an "eye" for that correctness is not a matter of internet research, but of years of experience.
    Take a picture of the item to Robin Wright from the Burke, for example; ask her to explain how she knows the item is not a native carving. That will provide a great deal of education in a very short time.
    I've shown some items from my collection to Bill Holm, for example, and was gratified by his kindness and the immense amount of knowledge he has.

6. all_fakes

Just an update: this item was manufactured by Thorn Arts Ltd, a casting firm based in Nanaimo BC. Thorn Arts was active in the 70s and 80s, and made a number of totem poles and other NW Coast Native-style items.
    Ebay #351176616635 is an identical item, still bearing the original foil label.

7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Well, Nanaimo is north of me and south of cxgirl on Vancouver Island. :beaver:

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Nanaimo bars - mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

9. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

10. Lucille.b

Thank you, all fakes.

Also the nanaimo bars sound wonderful!

11. all_fakes

You're very welcome. Yum.....

12. Margaret

Margaret New Member

Hi I have some pieces from thorn arts Ltd

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Your red flags were right on.
    So is Steve !
    Anyone bother pointing out that it's a seal bowl......
    nahh....you left that for me to say......& Thank you !!

14. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Recipe does sound yummy......

I have never heard of custard powder.....a/k/a????

15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Judy,
    i have several recipes that use custard powder. I use vanilla pudding in a box, not the instant.
    greg

16. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

17. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Good to know. Thank you.

18. judy

judy Well-Known Member

19. all_fakes

Some Thorn Arts pieces are pretty well-done, but they are all castings, despite what one often sees on ebay....

I made some flan over the weekend....from a powdered mix that I found in the cupboard. Not bad, but not as good as the real thing. Put enough caramel on, you can hardly tell the difference.

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  20. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

MMMmmm .. Birds Custard Powder :) :) :) .. My Mum used to make the pudding almost every Sunday, with stewed rhubarb from our garden .. nice desert after the beef, spuds, overcooked veggies, and wondeful Yorkie pudding with gravy !! We came from England to Canada in 1957 when I was 14yrs old and Sunday dinner remained the same as before, one can still get Birds Custard Powder in Canada. Dinner was at noon in those days in England but we eventually had to change that when we moved here as more women were out working. Of course, those English dinners only happened after wartime coupons ended when I was 7yrs old, before that it was whatever was available. Anyway, sorry for the ramble .. Birds Custard made memories flood my brain ....Joy.

Draft saved Draft deleted