Featured Northwest coast club

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by inspired by everything, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Here's another object that I've always been curious about I found a flea market years ago would love any direction as to age and possible culture of origin thank you

Attached Files:

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!
    Please always use the full image button for all your photos always. :)

judy, Susan Lucky and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

indeed.....a northwest coast club for killing caught fish.......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yours is a tourist / art carving ....& if not signed....could be carved circa late 1960's to 1970's...

It's impossible to say who in what tribe carved this....but here's some history...

Halibut fishermen used wooden clubs to kill or stun their catch; otherwise a heavy, struggling fish might turn over the canoe. The clubs were often beautifully carved, like this one which bears the image of a sea otter.

'They didn’'t want to spoil the head because they were going to cook it, so they were very careful where they hit it [a halibut]. / Yeah, right here in the nostrils. That stunned it and then you turned it over so the belly side was up and then it didn’'t fight as much. If you leave it belly side down then it bangs the boat a lot.' - Delores Churchill (Haida) / Donald Gregory (Tlingit), 2005.

4. Thank you so much for the information and the wonderful images mine is not signed that's about what I guessed the age was thank you for confirming

judy and komokwa like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous, Komo.
    Did you see the horn spoon in the background of inspired's photo, Haida? Most Haida spoons I've seen had a more flowing shape.

komokwa likes this.
  6. I don't think that spoon is Haida I bought it as not Native American

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thanks, it reminded me of Haida, but the shape is different. Still, it is nice.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Yah, I saw it.
    Looks like a Tlingit spoon made for the tourist trade.....if Inspired wants to post some good pics of it...I'd be happy to comment on it !

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted