Featured Northwood Peacocks on a Fence

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Grateful, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Grateful

Grateful Well-Known Member

When investigating estate sales prior to selecting the business I wanted to use for our own sale, I ran into this for $15 at one of them. I knew nothing about it, except that I kind of liked it, and it seemed to be in near perfect condition. After doing my own research, I am fairly certain this is authentic, but wanted to see if there were any opinions from experts on this board suggesting otherwise. The straw marks are random (not parallel as though they were intentional), the impression/design in more "compressed" into the bowl versus spread out, and it has the Northwood stamp. I know there are good fakes out there, so any thoughts to the contrary of authentic are welcome. Lastly, being just an admirer of certain carnival glass, can anyone more familiar tell by the photos if Northwood experts call this "amethyst" or "electric blue'? Thanks, as always, for your excellent comments.

peacock4.JPG
    peacock5.JPG

peacock6.JPG

peacock7.JPG

peacock8.JPG

peacock9.JPG

Peacocks3.JPG

judy, aaroncab, i need help and 2 others like this.
  2. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I would expect only one shear mark, (straw Mark) I'ts left by the shears cooling the gather on contact when it cuts it from the gathering rod. The others may be from threads of glass that fell into the mold, but would be suspicious on a pressed piece of glass. (No threads generated in the process. )

3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

The base color is blue. I'm not convinced it's an original Northwood product.
    This link may be helpful if you have not already come across it.
    http://www.ddoty.com/fakepeacocks.html

Don

4. Grateful

Thanks Don-that's one site I hadn't seen. So it mentions fakes as often having a solid glass base vs a collared one. I'm just trying to learn something here, not disagree~you all are the experts in this area. Would you call this collared or solid as a base?

peacock10.JPG

peacock11.JPG

judy likes this.
  5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I never take offense at additional questions - far from it. I'm attaching a link to a closed auction on ebay that I think demonstrates a collared base. This is a different pattern but it is another Northwood piece and I think the seventh and eighth pictures demonstrate a collared base (especially if you can zoom in). I am far from an expert in Northwood, though, so hopefully someone more versed in Northwood can confirm.
    Don
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Northwood-...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

The link didn't quite work - you need to click on the small blue letters after the title that say "see original listing".
    Don

judy, clutteredcloset49 and Grateful like this.
  7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

it looks genuine to me. So much so, that I would have bought it too. You focused so much on extreme close ups however, that it is hard to figure out. I'm basing my opinion on your first photo and the one photo of the base from the side. Do you know anyone locally who knows glass and could handle it and give their opinion?

Grateful and judy like this.
  8. Grateful

Thanks for the input. Other than the specifics, I kind of base my opinion on the items that were for sale. Out-of-this-world, including stunning jewelry. They said a person from a nearby large city bought 70 pieces within 10 minutes of the sale starting. Most things were definitely priced to move fast. I wasn't even there to buy anything and arrived an hour late due to an appointment. Still tons of nice things left. :)

ola402 and judy like this.
  9. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, but I always thought the moulded mark defines a later date of manufacture, and wasn't present upon earlier/original items? I had an unsigned/marked plate (not a bowl) in Amethyst and it sold for £175 GBP (in 2003)

10. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted