Norwegian pottery?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by BDW, Jul 16, 2018.

1. BDW

BDW New Member

I have a teapot and covered bowl I inherited from my Grandmother. On the bottom, she wrote a note saying it was her mother's wedding gift, 1881, Norway.

I never really questioned it until I found a matching piece at a garage sale a friend was having. It's pretty much an exact match - another teapot, slightly larger than mine - and he didn't think it was particularly old.

I do find it odd that there would be multiple pieces floating around the small town I live in if it was indeed from Norway in the 1880s.

Can anyone shed any light on these pieces? There are no signatures or any other markings on them. Here's a few pics:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. BDW

BDW New Member

Hmm not sure what happened with the pics, trying again:

pottery1.jpeg pottery2.jpg pottery3.jpg

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

They are Japanese. Google something like Japanese sharkskin teapot and you'll find examples.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, BDW.
    Just wondering, could the note originally have been on a different teapot?

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers BDW!

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  6. BDW

BDW New Member

It's been on that teapot since I was a kid.... before that, I can't say, but I sort of doubt it.

Is it possible it was given to her in Norway and we just made the assumption it was Norwegian? Would it be reasonable for these to be available in Norway in the late 1880s?

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

If it was a wedding gift it could have come from anywhere.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't know about this particular set, but Norway would definitely have had import from Asia and elsewhere.

judy and i need help like this.
  9. BDW

BDW New Member

Is there any way to tell if they indeed date from the 1880s? Or was this type of pottery made over a long time period?

Draft saved Draft deleted