Featured Not a postcard, but what is it?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by mizring, Dec 31, 2021.

1. mizring

mizring New Member

I have several of these type of cards. They're postcard size but blank on the back. Printed on (mostly textured) card stock. I'm wondering if they're called anything specific. Or are they considered postcards? Also wondering what printing technique this is . . . there are no dots. I just joined this board. Thank you!

100_4375.JPG
    100_4374.JPG
    100_4376.JPG

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @mizring !

I have a few such things and don't know an exact name for them. Maybe somebody else does. It's possible that they are art prints, meant to be framed? Really don't know the print method. Possibly some type of lithography but maybe not. I'll be interested to see what others say. I will tag one person, @moreotherstuff , who might know.

3. mizring

mizring New Member

Thank you! I would consider them art but it's a weird size for art. They almost do look hand painted.

pearlsnblume and Figtree3 like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Silkscreen printing, perhaps

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. mizring

mizring New Member

Thank you! I have another, similar one by Ranson. What do you suppose they are? They show one of his pieces framed in that link but they don't give a size. I looked through the loupe but the signature on the Geisha is illegible. The last one does not have a signature.

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. mizring

mizring New Member

Hmmm. That might be.

stracci likes this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't have much experience with pochoir, but maybe? It's a stencil technique.

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. mizring

mizring New Member

Pochoir is the first thing that came to my mind but I don't know much about that technique. I thought most pochoirs were older. I'm going to do some more investigating.

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Show a close up of the signature on the geisha. Someone else might be able to make it out.

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. mizring

mizring New Member

To me, it looks something like Noel St. Fran but I'm probably way off! I would have suspected it to be Japanese writing but it doesn't appear to be.
    geisha.jpg

pearlsnblume and Figtree3 like this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Maybe Andre Stefan.

komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
  13. mizring

mizring New Member

That's interesting. It does look like Andre Stefan. And there is an Andre Stefan that has done some pochoirs but his signature looks completely different. And the style looks different (at least to me). Regardless, you are a very good detective!

Figtree3 and Darkwing Manor like this.
  14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Not finding any biographical information. All I can find is "active early 20th century".

15. mizring

mizring New Member

Not much info on him but I have found other postcards similar to the ones I have that are called pochoirs, including this one on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/123804280611?hash=item1cd34f6723:g:fh4AAOSwddVcrGRi
    I am thinking these are, indeed, pochoirs. You have been extremely helpful. Glad I have found this board :)

Figtree3 and moreotherstuff like this.
  16. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

17. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Close in size to Lobby Cards

"Lobby cards are similar to posters but smaller, usually 11 in × 14 in (28 cm × 36 cm), also 8 in × 10 in (20 cm × 25 cm) before 1930. Lobby cards are collectible and values depend on their age, quality, and popularity."

18. mizring

mizring New Member

19. mizring

mizring New Member

These are postcard size. About 3 1/2 x 5 1/2.

20. mizring

mizring New Member

Thank you all for your help. I'm most appreciative. I think I have enough info to proceed. Happy New Year to all!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted