Not an Antique Yet

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Kennabonner, Sep 2, 2023.

1. Kennabonner

Kennabonner Member

Hi, I'm Kenna. I am so happy to have found this forum. I've never been an antique person, hated going the shops - the dust, the musty smell - they reminded me of my great grandmother's house, and she was not great. I do, however, enjoy research. It's what I do for a living, although in oncology. Antique furniture appears to be only slightly more complex than cancer, with as many variations and microscopic details and a myriad of hard to recognize distinguishing characteristics. Naturally, I'm hooked. I only have one piece that I'm curious about for now. I've researched and learned as much as possible independently, but I'm still not even confident about the type of wood. I think I have it nailed down to between 1790-1810, but I'll post about it when I find the correct forum. I can see this becoming a hobby (or do we say obsession?) and am eager to learn more. I'll post about my piece in the correct forum. Just wanted to say I'm glad you're all here. Thank you!
    Kenna

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi @Kennabonner, and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!!!! Yes, I think we'd all agree that antiques are addictive!!! But OH, SO much fun!!!! When posting check out the different forums, if you haven't already done so, and please remember to post full size images, not the thumbnails....makes it easier for everyone to see!! Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions!! Can't wait to see what you've got!!

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Hello Kenna. Always nice to meet someone who enjoys the search as much as the object. In my mind, the two can't be separated. Looking forward to seeing your piece.

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hi Kenna. All I can say is Ive been an antiques enthusiast since about the age 9,and 50 years later of passionate interest,I still barely scratch the surface on all there is to know ! These folks here have taught me more than I thought possible. Its a great group. Welcome.

5. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Welcome! And, what Johnny said!

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Kenna. This is the forum you're looking for:
    https://www.antiquers.com/forums/furniture.9/
    Thank you, that is literally of vital importance.
    A passion sounds so much nicer.:playful:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
  7. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Welcome kennabonner. Funny how a negative relationship can ruin something associated with them. I grew up with antiques. I loved my grandmother and her victorian house with the must basement. We use to have to retreat there during tornado warnings. I live in a 1850 house with a musty basement. My granddaughter went down there last month, sat on the steps and took a big whiff and said' I love the smell of your basement"! A girl after my own heart. Welcome to the search and research. Most people on this forum are here not just to get answers on items but to add to their overall knowledge.

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings, Kennabonner!!

Potteryplease and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Lark: There is also that scent from the iron pipes of the water system. Dead giveaway to "Old House." Love it!

kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  10. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Hi Kenna! Welcome among us:)
    After reading your post about your dresser, I think you'll settle here greatly:joyful:
    I LOVE your grandma stories:hilarious:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

We called many stories told over the years "Parsons' stories" Not sure if true but made for great story telling.

12. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted