Featured NOT ANTIQUE: ceramic cat ca.1990's - DeRosa?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by SBSVC, Jun 21, 2019.

1. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

@clutteredcloset49 posted a thread about Pinterest finds earlier today, and in one of her links, I noticed some "DeRosa/Uruguay" cat figurines that reminded me of something I've had since the early 1990's.

I've never really given any thought to the who/what/where of this pretty kitty, but now I'm curious.

Any thoughts?

She's ceramic, hollow, and about 11" tall. Her eyes appear to be glass:
    img0 (189).jpg
    img0 (192).jpg
    img0 (190).jpg
    felt glued on the bottom:
    img0 (191).jpg

I'd appreciate any input!

Here's a bit of company info:
    https://derosacollections.com/history/

(Maybe I should just contact them direct?)

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thank you, INH! David Burnham Smith definitely looks like a distinct possibility.

I dug into it a bit more, and I found the artist's Facebook page. Unfortunately, it hasn't been updated in some time, and it appears that Mr Smith is seriously ill. I don't want to bug him just now by asking about my cat, but maybe I'll try asking through the Gallery.

I'll let you know what (if anything) I hear back.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Sorry I'm just getting here.
    Cute kitty. I'd have taken her home with me if I'd found her.:cat:

I'm afraid I can't help with the who.

If she's hollow, then would not be the DeRosa line. The Artesania Rinconada animals are solid clay.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, Cluttered!

INH's suggestion of David Burnham Smith seems perhaps like a better lead, but I don't know if I'll get a reply back from him/the gallery that posted his work.

The kitty was a gift many long years ago, and I never even thought to look into who might have made her! Your Pinterest post got me thinking about it...

clutteredcloset49 and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted