Featured Not by Jacques Blin! So who created this?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Touchdry, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Touchdry

Touchdry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The potter must have been inspired by the French potter Jacques Blin's style ... but who are they? Can anyone recognize the signature? The mug stands 6" high and 2.75" diameter. Is it French? I bought it in France so there is a remote possibility that it is - French ... what do you say?

2. Touchdry

Yes ... It's French ... believe it or not, it is the signature of the French artist Henry Simon 1910-1987! WOW!

3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Nice!

Whats the story behind this little(?) hoard of ceramics? Stuff you picked up along the way and use? Or having fun unleashing from storage?

i need help likes this.
  4. Touchdry

Ha Ha ... this 'little' hoard of ceramics goes back to around 2004 when I was forced to go into a charity shop by my wife! I grumpily looked around - and something caught my eye. It was an amazing little slab pot (made by Sheila Fournier!)- and it was 60p! ... I never looked back, but began an adventure into the tactile world of studio pottery ... Now I have moved to France I am discovering a whole different world of European Art Pottery. The trouble is if I see something I like - and can afford it ... then I might buy it - and wonder, later, who actually made it. That gives me a thrill to spend time finding out about the maker - and how they value what they do ... then pass that evaluation onto the likes of me (and I am not talking money) ... so stand by for lots more tasty goodies!

Figtree3, BoudiccaJones, Fid and 3 others like this.
  5. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I haven’t been able to find any other examples of Henry Simon ceramics. Its very nice btw.

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I found a very similar one. It is his work. A jug with the same fish motif that sold for about 65 somethings-or-other (maybe Euros)

scoutshouse and Touchdry like this.
  7. Touchdry

scoutshouse likes this.
  8. Touchdry

65 somethings-or-other ... I'd love to have some of those ... what are they?!

scoutshouse likes this.
  9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Nagel was the auctioneer, so price must have must have been in somethings-or-others.:D

scoutshouse likes this.
  10. Touchdry

... Oh ... I think you pronounce it NYJEL (... unless of course they are Germans!!) ...

scoutshouse likes this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

they are in Stuttgart.
    so Nagel is Nagel and "nageln" means shagging in some dialects...

scoutshouse likes this.
  12. Touchdry

Thank you Fid - I'm British ... and we only refer to "The Midlands" (coughs slightly)

scoutshouse likes this.
  13. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I'm sure you "nailed" it.

Draft saved Draft deleted