Featured not sure husband finds are what he says "antique"

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hockeyoutlaw, May 19, 2017.

1. hockeyoutlaw

hockeyoutlaw New Member

So my husband has forte for finding various items that look old and he thinks are antique. Now since I really do not have any background or knowledge of what is and what is not i usually have to take his word, but i do not think an object shows age means antique and value plus he is wanting me to make them look nice. I am not sure if i should paint and stain some of the older items and make them look pretty like he says or just leave as is and sell in a rummage sale. Most of the items he finds are from old grain elevators since the company he works for that is where they usually do work. He also likes old metal signs not sure if they have any value he said yes but might as well ask about that. So I uploaded some pictures and if anyone can give me a some feedback i would really appreciate it and so would my garage. Thanks

Photo May 19, 4 36 04 AM.jpg Photo May 19, 4 37 42 AM.jpg Photo May 19, 4 32 29 AM.jpg Photo May 19, 4 34 04 AM.jpg

2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I say yes, they have value, but DON'T pretty them up.

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

"Antique" usually means 100+ years old so other than maybe the door I don't think these are that old. It doesn't mean things aren't collectible though, I'd probably opt for calling them "vintage" if they have some age.

4. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

I agree, vintage is what I would call everything other than the door; if you want a better estimate of the doors age please post closer photos of the hardware (hinges etc.). It would appear from the photo the door could have been made in the early 19th century.
    :)

5. silverthwaite II

silverthwaite II Well-Known Member

What do you bet that door is going to be a coffee table in somebody's loft.

Warts and all.

Unless one of Lara Spencer's minions get to it, in which case it may end up painted Granny Apple green with lavender legs...

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That sled reminds me of my Flexible Flyer from the 50's. I still have it!

7. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

It's hard to tell without better pictures or a label but it kinda looks like a 50's "Speedaway" sled I have.

judy, KingofThings and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

If selling, leave them alone. If you are keeping and want them to display better, the wood items could use a coat of paste wax or oiling to bring out the color of the wood. Leave the metal items alone.

Aquitaine, judy, KingofThings and 4 others like this.
  9. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Here's one of the vintage Carey Salt thermometer signs.
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-carey-salt-advertising-205909545

Those railroad crissing signs if authentic are very collectible. The problem with them are that they have/are being reproduced as retro decor items.

I agrees with the others as to the dating if the sled being 1950ish. I don't know the brand, maker.

--- Susan

10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I agree all have some value.
    People here in CA collect metal signs.

DO NOT pretty them up. If you want to clean and keep them from rusting further, wipe down with mineral oil and let sit a little while and wipe off any excess. Mineral oil will take some of the dirt off and retard rust.

11. clutteredcloset49

Just saw Brad's reply.
    My comments were meant for if you were keeping for yourself.

12. clutteredcloset49

Aren't those sleds made by the same company that made Flexie Flyers?
    Those were so FUN! ! !

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Cluttered: The mineral oil won't hurt the metal and will keep it from further rust. I do find it has the tendency to collect dust. You could also wax or use a lightweight machine oil on the metal without causing harm. Both might also collect dust. There is also a permanent treatment for rust called duro-extend. It converts rust to a black inert substance but does not remove it. I just generally find it best to leave metal alone if in a home environment that is reasonably dry. Besides, rust is in right now.

14. hockeyoutlaw

hockeyoutlaw New Member

Thank you all so much for the information and i agree is more vintage. So I am wanting to sell the items and I am assuming that selling them online would probably be a better option then in my rummage sale. Plus I am not sure how to price items and it also sounds like i should take pictures closer of certain things on the items. All of the feedback is wonderful thank you so much.

15. Vernon Ward

Vernon Ward New Member

If you are going to sell them, do your due diligence and research past prices paid for similar items. You will find numerous examples on eBay.com or if you want more sites to search, go to our resource page at REMOVED

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2017
  16. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I had a RR sign exactly like that back in the mid 70's

judy, KingofThings and Ghopper1924 like this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I had one in my garage for years, a wooden one of all things. It ended up at a local railroad museum along with a New Haven RR bell off one of their last steam engines. The signs are highly collectible, especially if you know which road it came from. That thermometer will sell handily; old advertising, especially enamel on steel pieces like that, are hot. As for the door, I'd put some modern screws through the hinges into a box I'd made to go with it and make a charging station out of it. (drill holes in the box for the wires)

KingofThings and Ghopper1924 like this.
  18. clutteredcloset49

Everything in my house collects dust.:smuggrin:
    But if you mean, dust sticks to the item, maybe the excess oil wasn't wiped off well enough. I haven't had that problem.

Just thought of something - You're in the Midwest, higher humidity?
    I'm in CA very dry. Wonder if that plays a part.

19. silverthwaite II

silverthwaite II Well-Known Member

It does! On very high humidity days, I swear my bannisters perspire!

20. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I know many people sell larger items online. Personally I don't like to deal with shipping larger things unless there is significant return.

Draft saved Draft deleted