Featured Not sure what I’ve bought, but I like it??

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Scott Gildea, Sep 12, 2023.

1. Scott Gildea

Scott Gildea Member

I’ve just purchased my first ‘antique’ with a view to sympathetically restore (repair a few little splits and then refinish). I bought this as a “Victorian drinks cabinet” but it has a few quirky features that I can’t quite figure out what they are nor what they would have been used for.

So I guess what I’m asking is,
    a) is this actually Victorian
    b) was this originally made to be a drinks cabinet, if not what was it’s original function
    c) what is the little brass catch on the inside?

I’m happy to provide more pictures if needed and any help that can be provided would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

kyratango, cxgirl, silverbell and 2 others like this.
  2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Welcome Scott.Folks here will want to see yr pics posted 'Full Size' w/ brighter lighting & more details re construction.This is a very sharp group & quite enjoyable site.

3. Scott Gildea

Scott Gildea Member

IMG_8063.jpeg IMG_8064.jpeg IMG_8065.jpeg IMG_8066.jpeg IMG_8067.jpeg IMG_8068.jpeg IMG_8063.jpeg IMG_8064.jpeg IMG_8065.jpeg IMG_8066.jpeg IMG_8067.jpeg IMG_8068.jpeg I thought the picture size was going to be an issue. Let me try again and upload some better pictures

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
    kyratango, cxgirl, sabre123 and 3 others like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am not entirely sure what you have either. Looks like it has been modified along the way. As configured, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have the door on the front, assuming the deep well is for bottles. Something is certainly missing where the odd latch inside is. Does look old. Where did you find this?

kyratango, cxgirl, sabre123 and 3 others like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Welcome, Scott.

When you upload your photos, there are two options shown, just above the resulting list of files - "Thumbnail" and "Full Size". Please select the full size option, which will display your pictures in a larger format here on the thread. To do this with your last post, select "Edit" (just below your post, on the right), then "More Options", and then select "Display all as Full Size" (or something like that). For future posts, just select full size in the beginning (you won't have to go back through editing.)

Nobody knows why thumbnail is the default option, but we all go through this learning how to best use the site.

6. Scott Gildea

Scott Gildea Member

IMG_8069.jpeg Thank for the reply, I found it on eBay, it was being sold by a hospice in Lancaster.

The small draw at the bottom has what look like hand cut dovetails (if that matters/makes any difference to identification).

I agree with that the front door does seem a little redundant, but from the marks on the inside it seems like there was another panel where the felt covered one is now.

I wonder if the small catch on the inside could have supported perhaps a removable ‘board’, perhaps a little card table as it would have sat flush and the lid(s) became a sort of personal table for drinks or winnings??

I do like it’s quirkiness.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
  7. Scott Gildea

Scott Gildea Member

*I think I’ve solved the issue and edited the sizes*

I was given 4 options of small, medium, large and original size. I originally posted using medium and then resposted in large. The file size was too big when opting for ‘actual size’.

8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

This doesn’t feel Victorian to me. The massing seems more early to mid-20th Century. I have no idea what the brass catch is for. Seems more like a smoking stand combined with something else, maybe a game table, maybe for liquor. A bit of a mystery!

9. bosko69

Nice pics Scott.No one here posts their current country of residence,but it helps to know where an item came from-it can assist with identification/provenance.
    @Ghopper1924 @verybrad -do those dovetails look 19th century hand cut or were they also employed in the 20th century ?

10. verybrad

11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Well done Brad !Definitely something missing from the top.Why have a lock on the cabinet door when they could just open the top? I think its a washstand of some sort.

cxgirl, sabre123, Houseful and 2 others like this.
  12. Scott Gildea

Scott Gildea Member

Sure, I’m based in the UK.

cxgirl and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. Scott Gildea

Scott Gildea Member

Wow that’s some impressive and rapid research! Thank you for this. It’s great to see how it should look

cxgirl and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. bosko69

Beau Brummel converted bar cabinet for $145 ?! Seems a tad low even w/ a conversion,of course here in the States anything 18th century seems a miraculous survivor-UK prob not.

15. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I think its a gentleman's wash stand that someone has altered by putting green baize inside.

cxgirl, sabre123, Houseful and 2 others like this.
  16. Scott Gildea

Scott Gildea Member

I paid £20 ($25) for this item

Houseful and pearlsnblume like this.
  17. verybrad

cxgirl likes this.
  18. verybrad

19. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

20. Scott Gildea

Scott Gildea Member

I guess this now begs the question of what is the responsible way to proceed with any form of restoration.
    Do I leave it in this configuration and simply make the small repairs and refinish (celebrate the journey it’s had over the years) or look to revert it back to something closer to its original condition/usage?

BettyRubble and johnnycb09 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted