Not sure what to do with this book?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Pat P, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I discovered a very rare book among my mother's things yesterday, and am not sure how to proceed with it.

The book is an original copy of An Essay on the Trial by Jury, by Lysander Spooner, published in 1852. The book was signed by Spooner in 1879, and apparently was his own copy. By the signature he wrote "This book is mine, and I should be very sorry to lose it, as the work is out of print."

Here's what I've learned after researching the book and Mr. Spooner...

Although the book is widely available as much later reprints and eBooks, I didn't find any original copies for sale on vialibri, addall, abebooks, or eBay. I also couldn't find any auction records for sale of an original of this book.

Similarly, Worldcat doesn't show any original copies held by any libraries, although there are many eBook copies available. Also the Library of Congress doesn't appear to have an original.

Apparently, the University of Michigan library used to have an original that was used by Google to create an eBook. Since the original doesn't show up in the University's database, I assume they no longer have it.

I found this biography of Spooner very interesting...
    http://lysanderspooner.org/node/5

Lysander Spooner was quite an independent thinker, embracing some points of view that today would be considered radical leftist thought, and other points of view that now would be considered to be on the radical right.

Although Spooner made his mark on history, apparently while he was alive there wasn't a great interest in his books, so they weren't widely printed or sold. Today, however, there appears to be a market for his writings. My impression is that his appeal may be especially strong for libertarians.

The book itself is in poor condition, with the cover detached, tape inside, etc. But if there's a market for the book, since it's Spooner's own copy, and signed by him, and no other copies show up anywhere else, I don't know if the condition would matter all that much?

I've never used auction houses or offered items to libraries or museums, so don't know what the best venues would be? If there will be interest in the book, I'd prefer selling it to donating it.

I'd really appreciate any perspective on this and, if possible, a little mentoring. This is just the first of many 19th century books I inherited that I'd like to sell, and I could use help in coming up to speed.

I'll put photos in the next post.

dude likes this.
  2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

3. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Pat Parker, this is just a "possibility" but . . .

Because Spooner's two law mentors (John Davis and Charles Allen) were educated at Yale and Harvard respectively, I think perhaps you could parlay those educational connections to contact either Yale's Sterling Memorial Library (which is located near the Sterling Law School at Yale) or Harvard's main library or law library. Sorry, I didn't take the time to look up the names of the Harvard librar(ies).

At Yale there is also the Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library, but I would start with the Sterling Memorial Library and see if perhaps the Sterling Library wants to refer it to the Beinecke Library.

Just an idea of avenues for you to explore.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    dude, elarnia and Pat P like this.
  4. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

What a neat book, I would surly hang on to it, what a neat little treasure :)

dude and Pat P like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

If you are thinking of donating, I found that the New-York Historical Society has a collection of some of his papers, mostly correspondence, from 1844-1886.

https://www.nyhistory.org/library

Look in their catalog for the phrase Lysander Spooner Papers in the title.

dude, yourturntoloveit and Pat P like this.
  6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, YourTurn, Shiloh and Fig. :)

At this point, I'm thinking I'd rather sell than donate. I am totally overrun with stuff, especially antiquarian books.

I like YourTurn's suggestion of approaching libraries since the book would remain available to the public. If I did approach a library, any thoughts on what to say to them?

Without getting a formal appraisal, how could I get an idea of what would be an appropriate price?

p.s. Last night I finally found one other known original copy. It's in the Massachusetts State Library Special Collections area. It shows up both in the library's current database and in their 1853 list of held books. I assume it's the same copy showing up in both places, which I think is kind of neat.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    dude likes this.
  7. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I looked all over and came to dead ends,cool that you found another original. I'll bet an attorney would LOVE to have that book in his/her collection? :)

dude, Pat P and yourturntoloveit like this.
  8. yourturntoloveit

Pat Parker, if you are going to sell it, I have no idea, except I just want to say that Figtree's suggestion of the New-York Historical Society sounds the most promising and perhaps with the least amount of muss and fuss and it wouldn't surprise me if the Historical Society has funds available to buy it (they probably have a list of "patrons" who might assist in its procurement.)

As to an appraisal of the book I am at a loss for ideas.

I will say one thing though -- to you the book may appear to be in "sad shape" -- to a professional (library/historical society) dealing with old/antique/one-of-a-kind books it may appear to be "only a bit disheveled." ;)

And don't forget that your book has the added bonus of being signed and denoted by the author as being his (personal) book.

9. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that this may be very rare, but of modest value. You need a strong demand to drive a high price. The book is relatively recent and not a famous judicial landmark.

Best of luck with it anyway.

dude, Debora and Pat P like this.
  10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

11. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Be cautious when dealing with the New York Historical Society - they will naturally assume that you are looking to DONATE and will work on that assumption for some time - not saying that they do not BUY but it is a hard sell. And they can drag things out proving provenance, etc. It took almost a year for my family to arrange a large DONATION of historical documents and photographs - even things that had a proven provenance due to having been mentioned in past publications or that had actually been published in the past. Not complaining, just good curating. But still a pain in the butt when you just want to "drop off" a few crates of "Ole New York".............................

dude, spirit-of-shiloh and Pat P like this.
  12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks for the new replies. :)

Shiloh, I'm honestly not sure how most lawyers would feel about the book. Spooner was far from mainstream... he was an anarchist and severe critic of the status quo. It wouldn't surprise me if the reprints and eBooks show up in many university libraries because Spooner's writings stimulate in-depth discussions.

YourTurn, I think I will contact the NY Historical Society at least to ask their opinion. I hope you're right about the condition not mattering.

Af, I'd be happy with a moderate price and also would be surprised if it brought a high price. I don't think I'm going to pay off the rest of my mortgage from selling this book!

I agree that the book doesn't appear to have been a famous judicial landmark... but from what I can tell, Spooner's writings in general were ahead of his time, and have struck chords with later generations. He was an abolitionist long before the Civil War, and a strong advocate of civil justice for all, including women and minorities. I read that in recent years he was actually quoted by two U.S. Supreme Court Justices (on the right side of the political spectrum) in their replies to cases before them. So I'm honestly not sure what the reception would be.

Wendy, thanks, that's a good idea. I'm familiar with the site, and was looking at it the other day to see how active the forum is since I'm going to have a lot of questions as I move into selling antiquarian books. I've only sold a handful of books and magazines in the past, and none were anything special.

dude and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Mansons, thanks for the warning. I was thinking I'd say to them upfront that I'm interested in selling the book and wondered if they'd know the best venue.

Or would that be a not-so-good approach?

dude likes this.
  14. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Definitely state upfront that you are interested in selling the book and are giving them a "first option" if they are interested. The only thing that may hamper you is that I recommend that you have at least some idea of acceptable value. And it may not hurt your case if you casually mention that this is one of a number of antiquarian books you are interested in selling. There is only a small chance that anything else you have is of any interest to them, but letting them know up front that you are DEALING with books won't hurt.

Good Luck!

Forgot to mention that my experience with them was over a decade ago so things may have changed.

dude, Pat P and yourturntoloveit like this.
  15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Mansons, thanks so much for your suggestions, which sound like a good approach.

Now the big question is how to determine the value without any comps to look at? Any suggestions from anyone on how to get a ballpark figure?

dude likes this.
  16. yourturntoloveit

Pat Parker, may I "message" you through this forum? I "think" I may have a few more leads for you, but there is no need to publish them "out in the open," so to speak.

17. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Sure, YourTurn. Thanks!

dude likes this.
  18. yourturntoloveit

Message sent, Pat.

dude likes this.
  19. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Now the big question is how to determine the value without any comps to look at? Any suggestions from anyone on how to get a ballpark figure?

I'd just ask a figure that would give a modest profit and move on to something else.

dude likes this.
  20. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

On the one hand that makes total sense, Af. On the other hand, how shall I define "a modest profit"?

dude likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted