Featured Not the Greatest, but Something I've Never Seen Before . . . Have You?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Aug 11, 2019.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

A Candlewick cream and sugar with all over silver. It's offered at a local tag sale. I was thinking it was sterling until I enlarged the photo.

1.jpg

2. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy, judy and sabre123 like this.
  3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I looked in my Candlewick book and this pair is # 400/31. I guess somebody did an all over silver treatment on them. I had a vase once like that, can't remember who did it, but it was striking. I didn't go to the tag sale. We are having a refrigerator break down (of course on a Sunday) and I'm trying to line up repairs.

I think the food might be a total loss. we'll see.

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

This is getting ominous - that is the second refrigerator to go hot recently............is there a conspiracy? Is it going to be an Ice Box Armageddon? Are our coolers freezing us out? Will wilted lettuce and curdled milk become the new norm? I shiver to think about the liquid ice cubes being dispensed all over America. I tell you! It is the end of this Ice Age! I foresee a mass extinction of mayonnaise and orange juice..........

I also think I have to back away from the laptop when I take two hits of morphine................loosing the pain is nice but finding that I am a driveling idiot is not................

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I hope it gets squared away as quickly and inexpensively as possible, Ola!

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I blame Global Warming. :)

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. rknarr2

rknarr2 Well-Known Member

Bring back the horse team wagons of delivering ice and those ice boxes. Rob

8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Called repair company first thing and they can't come out until tomorrow afternoon, unless there's a cancellation.

Everybody, clap for a cancellation!! Clap, clap, clap, clap!

9. rknarr2

rknarr2 Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear of your refrigerator on the fritz. I remember what I went through. I remember my power went out but I forgot to throw the mayonnaise out and my dad got food poisoned and had to go to the hospital because of me. It was during a snow storm when the power went out. Rob

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I blame the crappy new appliances they make now that have the Special Planned Obsolescence chip in them. (I think I have one in my phone as well.) We bought all new kitchen appliances in 2011 when we had the kitchen remodeled. 4 appliances. Guess how many have already needed service? Yep, 4. The condenser on the frig was replaced on a recall a mere month after we got it. The dishwasher needed a new bottom plate and seal (it leaked). The stove needed a new control panel (that one ouched us for almost $800), right after the maintenace agreement expired. The microwave has a malfunctioning door latch which I'll ask them about when the frig is up and running again.

11. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Remember when major appliances used to last for at least 20 years?

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  12. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Ack!! Hubby's insulin! Gotta go see if a neighbor can chill it until we're back.

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  13. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Oh, there's a bit about those in my future book! We actually use to have ice delivered until the late 1950 to supplement our fridges............for the built-in ice box in our apartment and for the "cooler room" in the townhouse. Got coal from the same company.

14. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

My 2nd great-grandmother's brother was an ice man in Connecticut. It must not have been "happy" work - he killed himself in 1899...
    img0 (74).jpg

15. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

We got the bad news this morning. Our 8 year old refrigerator is DOA. Holy smokes! Who do I have to beat up in Asia? What a piece, 8 years and it's dead. The tech said 7.5 to 10 years is the average life of this frig. It's an LG and they don't do so well with their compressors.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WOW!!!! And our 30 year old Gibson side by side doors Reefer is STILL KICKING!!!!!! Guess I shouldn’t complain too loudly about a couple of slightly broken and “jury rigged” plastic drawers, then!!!!!! Course, it too could be DOA when we get back home tomorrow after two weeks away!!!!!! OTOH, I am SO READY for a new one:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  17. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

If you buy a new one, empty your head of everything you think you know about appliances from the past. The new ones are full featured but not so reliable. AND, the manufacturer doesn't really guide buyers on how the features work and how the system should be maintained (especially cleaning the coils). All they told me was not to block the inside vents.

Everything I know about my new appliances came from internet posts that usually start with THIS (insert appliance type) IS A COMPLETE PIECE OF JUNK! At least new frigs are very well lit, they're marvelous examples of the best in LED lighting.

We just bought a new frig. Decided to take a Whirlpool for a spin. Hope it does a little better than the LG.

18. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Oh, and you have to hear this. Shortly after I got my new GE Oven, I suddenly couldn't operate the burner or oven controls. What!? Got on the internet and they said to check to see if it was in Sabbath mode. Really? Never heard of that. Evidently, it could mysteriously drop into Sabbath mode, and stop working for 24 hours. It took an hour to work that one out and I still don't know exactly what I did to make it start working again.

19. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

We got GE appliances when we built this house 6 years ago & I have only 1 thing to say - NEVER AGAIN!!!

We have already had to have the refrigerator worked on a couple of months ago. The microwave is a lttle newer because the first one got zapped by lightning hit. We went with the same one to avoid the hassel of finding a different brand that was the same size. Don't even get me started on the dishwasher. :arghh::arghh::arghh:

20. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

My GE oven/range needed a new control panel at about year 2 1/2 for $700. That one was hard to take. I'm convinced that most new brands will have a whopper of a fix in the first 5 years to move you along through the obsolescence cycle.

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted