Not vintage but need help...

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ashley Felton, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Ashley Felton

Ashley Felton Well-Known Member

A woman is selling this ring, what she says is a Miadora black diamond 10k white gold ring . What would it be worth at a pawn shop? If I were to sell? It’s a1 ct diamond. Also it’s on a selling site so if it’s not real I’m covered
    0348F45E-6415-4504-BC01-0EE71B9599EC.jpeg 1938107A-A340-43A8-8FD9-73504F0A8E2E.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

As far as I know, black diamonds only have value if they are genuine and natural black diamonds. Most are not.
    I have no idea if Miadora uses natural black diamonds, lab grown, or fakes, but they seem to be a lower end brand. Our US members will probably know more about Miadora diamond jewellery, I don't know if they sell to pawn shops though.

i need help and judy like this.
  3. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on the asking price. I have purchased 14k black diamond stud earrings from Macys. You can check their website. I did have to look at all the pairs to find the best without scratches/flaws. Most are treated.

4. Lisalovescats

Lisalovescats New Member

Hi! I had asked my jeweler this once. I have a black diamond & was told that even though it may have been a nice size, black diamonds are dyed black & usually to hide all the flaws in them. He didn’t really give it any value unfortunately, but it is still a real diamond & very pretty

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Unless the finger is really large or the diamond is very deep (not a good cut), this doesn't appear to be 1ct.

I see that "miadora" is Walmart's brand, but whenever I have seen "brand-name diamond" stated - it's been not a real diamond. I don't consider man-made diamonds to be real diamonds.

+Then there is this:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB969668213269022369

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

There are some natural black diamonds, but what makes them black is the presence of many flaws in the stone. And, as your jeweller said, very low quality 'clear' diamonds are often dyed black to hide the flows.
    As anti said, there are also many lab grown diamonds, which are simply not real.

Lisalovescats likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

boy does that sound like a scam in the making...........

I thought black diamonds were not real diamonds....:wideyed:

I'd walk away from the ring...........

https://www.spyseconline.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=794143

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Real info about black diamonds............ https://www.gia.edu/gia-news-research/gia-researchers-look-inside-black-diamonds

10. Ashley Felton

Ashley Felton Well-Known Member

Yeah I’m going to pass. I was going to buy to sell because it was only $50 but it seems to be too much of a hassle

Any Jewelry, komokwa and antidiem like this.
  11. Hi Marko. From what I understand, Diamonds cannot be scratched. They are the hardest on the MOHs rating scale for hardness.. If they scratch they are generally fake. Diamonds can scratch a surface themselves.

antidiem likes this.
  12. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

"Black" gold is a new one on me. I'd prefer the look of titanium! ;)

I actually wondered about the "screw / bolt" appearance of these, think these would tear my skin up!! :lock:

But it does go to illustrate that you can probably buy a 1ct. black pair new anytime for inexpensive, I haven't looked for a ring.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted